Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I'm new here, and I'm new at trying to build a Cigar Box Guitar.....I was wondering how many folks use their own material to build their boxes with, instead of using a CIgar Box....I was thinking of using some Baltic Birch plywood......just wondering about that before I get started.....I have a couple of CB's but they're pretty small and not deep enough...Thanks..........this site is outstanding........

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could build your own box if you wanted to, in my opinion, the critical piece would be the lid, or the piece you attach the neck to. You want to make sure it is the right thickness so that it resonates and makes the best sound. The advantage to building your own is that you have complete control over the size of it.
Thanks for your reply......the baltic birch I have right now is 1/8 thick.....do u think that would work ok for the entire box if braced good.....the wood seems pretty sturdy to me........

Iggy said:
You could build your own box if you wanted to, in my opinion, the critical piece would be the lid, or the piece you attach the neck to. You want to make sure it is the right thickness so that it resonates and makes the best sound. The advantage to building your own is that you have complete control over the size of it.
Hi Dane, that birch should work well but I would brace the corners and edges. Lots of folks build their own boxes, some instruments aren't square. What are you thinking about for the neck and how many strings? Acoustic or electric?
Hi, yes for sure 1/8 " would work great for the box. All the way around. Light weight wood for bracing. Its not just the sound board that gives it volume and tone. Its the complete body and neck.
Hey, Dane. That Baltic Birch ply is great stuff - used some of the 1/8" on the top of my tenor guitar thing, and it sounds fine. No reason it wouldn't do just as well for the back and sides. Might not like to be bent as much as the single plys (if you were going for a more traditional guitar), but it'll be plenty strong enough. Heck, they use that for frame and bracing material in homebuilt airplanes.
Thank you for all the replys and good advice........

As far as the neck goes, I have almost an unlimited supply of rough cut red oak boards...where I live is sawmill country, and my neighbor has a ton of that stuff and he said I could have all I want.....they are full cuts meaning they are a full 1x2 inches thick....meaning I guess I'll have to trim them down.....

I'm planning on making a three string first and then try a four string......

One of the members in here, whose name I can't remember builds fretboards and I hope to purchase one from him from ebay, and then get one of Ted Crockers "stonehenge" pickups.....

Thanks again for all the help and support...........
Hi Dane and welcome. There are loads of people making their own boxes here in all shapes and sizes. May I recommend Bairfoot Cajun as a good example. He has some details in the 'CBG Mechanics' page, and many pics on his homepage. I think it's Tinyguitars who has the fully built fretboards for sale. Have a good around the site and mostly enjoy yourself! I have learned so much from everyone here and still get so much satisfaction from building working musical instruments. Good luck fella!
I currently construct my own boxes from oak and red oak. Same with the necks. Tools are whatever's handy...LOL!
that's a thick top.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service