Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

An idea for a minor modification to the tricone resonator bridge

I'm curious if you can add some wooden supports to the bridge that help put some or most of the load off of the cones if you use heavier gauge strings, and to overall increase longevity of the cones because they won't get all bent out of shape regularly, and because the cones are very expensive.

I wonder if you add supports that touch the bridge would it dampen the sound substantially or will it depend on the type of wood you're using? 

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Might be out of my exper-teeze...but the cones are designed to take the string load. If the load is taken off the cone(s) the sound would be reduced so much, that the resonation would be decreased so much, that the cone(s) would be decoration rahter than doing what they are designed for.

An alternative might be to widen the bridge so that the string pressure is displaced over more cone surface, in the same way a foundation or footing supports the walls and overall weight of a house or building.

I haven't thought of your suggestion before, i would do it, if i had a shop and not a room haha.

I see what you're saying about how the cone needs to have the pressure of the strings on it so it can vibrate and produce sound. What i should have said, granted i wrote this late at night and it's not in my expertise either, is that the extra supports would act as an over-pressure valve if you will; they will give their support when the pressure on the cones are too great for example when using heavier gauge strings or god forbid doing percussion guitar on a resonator. 

Scott aka Farmer Ted said:

Might be out of my exper-teeze...but the cones are designed to take the string load. If the load is taken off the cone(s) the sound would be reduced so much, that the resonation would be decreased so much, that the cone(s) would be decoration rahter than doing what they are designed for.

An alternative might be to widen the bridge so that the string pressure is displaced over more cone surface, in the same way a foundation or footing supports the walls and overall weight of a house or building.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service