Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Received my StewMac fret saw the other day and WOW! I can't believe how much better this is that the old Kobolt razor saw I've been using from Lowe's. I've been through at least half a dozen of those, but this one from StewMac is 1000% more solid and should last for years to come and even with the adjustable depth stop it only cost about twice as much as the practically disposable Lowe's saws. I HIGHLY recommend this saw!!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Fret_...

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the same saw and use it with a speed sq. takes the work out of a fret job
yep it's made in Sheffield UK thats why it's good lol! - i know where they make these saws but can you beleive i had to buy mine from stewmac also it's not possible to buy direct from the maker :-( - tell you what though i have since bought the Japanese Fret saw and that is the best saw i have ever used on any wood
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Japan...

juju.
Yep, Cutting on the pull stroke gives more control and cuts much faster! Been using japanese hand saws for years, they are the best!
I received this saw as a christmas gift this year, along with the depth stop. I haven't used it yet. Randy, you say you got the miter box as well? It doesn't look like it would work with the depth stop installed. Is that the case?
Hi scott
i have the stewmac Mitre box too - it's got built in depth adjuster so you dont need the Plastic depth stop on the saw when using the mitre box setup
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Fret_...
juju:-)

Scott Winburn said:
I received this saw as a christmas gift this year, along with the depth stop. I haven't used it yet. Randy, you say you got the miter box as well? It doesn't look like it would work with the depth stop installed. Is that the case?
The standard stewmac cuts on the pull stroke also but the Japanese saw's teeth are super sharp and a lot longer and different tooth patten than the standard Saw which helps clear the wase better - and it cuts super fast and mega clean
i'm mega pleased with it - can you tell :-)
juju.

Delvero said:

Yep, Cutting on the pull stroke gives more control and cuts much faster! Been using japanese hand saws for years, they are the best!
I still havent found the right saw for fretting. I guess I should spend the money. The thing that worried me was the nthing they said about fitting thier own fret tang. Do you knowledgeable fretters see much difference in fret tang sizes. I have used 2 fret sizes and 2 different tangs for each,resulting in superglued fingertips. dont know if I want to buy all my fret wire from stew mac.
yep, I have this same saw...LOVE IT...worth every penny!
I have the saw and box too.... never cut without them anymore!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service