Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I think my next build will be a 30in scale bari. Any tips from those who have already built one.

Wood type for neck?

string gauges?

tuneing?

ect,

Thanks,

rev

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wood type= maple or oak with good hardwood fretboard works fine for me
string gauges=use what you would normally us
tuning =tune a 5th lower then you normally would for axample if you normally tune a three string dad tune a baritone aea
Thanks Frogg,
That's about what I was planning on doing...except for using slightly heavier strings...just did wanted to hear from someone who had already built one.

rev
I play a 30' baritone normally and am working on building a resonator version. I tune BEAD-F#-B, string gauges .070, 60, 48, 29, 22, 16.

D'addario strings are alright, but no matter what brand you get, if you get a premade package they might not be long enough for your instrument. Most are designed for danelectros with a bridge stop tailpiece, so if you have a gap between your tailpiece and bridge, you might need to order custom strings individually.
tibbs i have done several at up to a 32.5 inch scale and have not had a problem with most standard strings reaching...except the cheap ones i got from bez dez they where short even for a tenor

Mister Tibbs said:
I play a 30' baritone normally and am working on building a resonator version. I tune BEAD-F#-B, string gauges .070, 60, 48, 29, 22, 16.

D'addario strings are alright, but no matter what brand you get, if you get a premade package they might not be long enough for your instrument. Most are designed for danelectros with a bridge stop tailpiece, so if you have a gap between your tailpiece and bridge, you might need to order custom strings individually.
The one I play is a Fender Jazzmaster with a Dano baritone neck filed down a bit and stuck on. The "Jazzbastard."

I never could find strings long enough for the extra string space behind the bridge, so I mounted the dano bridge right behind the floating jazzmaster bridge, run the strings through that and it works fine. Ain't pretty, but plays well and sounds great.
Oh, wow, this reminds me of Netherlands avant punk heroes "the Ex" who appeared with a couple of MIJ Jaguar baritones a few years back - one was converted to lefty by reattaching the neck on the back side - somehow it works.

Anyway: I'd like to convert my homemade six-string bass (30", used neck from somebody else's project, beech & rosewood, very stiff without trussrod.) Is there any set of baritone strings using bigger (bass type) ballends?
That's funny...The Ex are one of my favorite bands, and I had no idea they play baritones, much less Jag-bastards.

You'll probably have to buy 2 sets of strings if the ferrules for regular baritone strings poke out of the bridge...one regular ("medium" gauge?) and one set of "piccolo" bass strings. Then use 3 from each set.
Hey, I found a physics site that can help with box-making issues, to get a bassier sound. I posted it in this other thread:
Resonator Body Materials
I buy Bulk singles and make up my own sets. Biggest guitar strings I've found so far ar.74.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service