Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Have this old 6cyl valve cover that’s been hanging in my shop for several years.  Thought about a lap steel but measurements make me think it would be too wobbly.  It’s 27”L x 6”W x 4”Deep.  Any other ideas out there somebody would like to share with me?  Or how to make work as a lap steel.  

Thanks

Views: 56

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you re-enforced the inside with a piece of oak, might work fine.  Or if it's too flimsy for a 6-stringer, perhaps a 3 or 4 -stringer?  Although I'd think it would probably stand up to the stress unless you can flex it with your hands.  Hard to tell without knowing how thick/flimsy the metal is.  Most valve covers I've seen are pretty sturdy.

Plenty sturdy, just not sure what way to go with it.  Height I’m thinking would make it to roll over while playing or am I over thinking it?

Since it is broader than it is high, the center of gravity would be downward.  The squared edges would resist rollover.  A way to test is set it on a table and see if you can easily tip it over by hand.  If not, strumming strings isn't likely to do so, especially in the manner a steel is played (with opposing forces of the fingers vs thumb).  If such does prove a problem, affixing it to a wider flat base would correct that problem... perhaps several license plates end to end?  ; )

When tackling an unusual project, I recommend a "subconscious" method of design (I use this regularly in many areas):  sit down with the item in front of you, clear your mind of intentional thought, and just let ideas flow.  Don't try to force it.  Doesn't matter where your mind takes you; just let the imagination run free.  Soon a "brilliant idea" will likely present itself seemingly "out of nowhere", as you are letting the creative area of your brain override the "logical" area that's putting up brick walls.  It is often surprising what results. : )

Greg Bement said:

Plenty sturdy, just not sure what way to go with it.  Height I’m thinking would make it to roll over while playing or am I over thinking it?

I have seen a few neck thru cbg’s & basses with valve covers, if you do go lap steel, you could always put rubber feet on bottom, I’m sure it wouldn’t flip if it was laying flat with downward pressure? 

Thanks Wayfinder, I'll try that.  And Brian thanks for the pic, make me lean more to the lap steel as it would be so long in Guitar fashion.  And was thinking more of using the valve cover open side up.  Again thank you both.

Wayfinder said:

Since it is broader than it is high, the center of gravity would be downward.  The squared edges would resist rollover.  A way to test is set it on a table and see if you can easily tip it over by hand.  If not, strumming strings isn't likely to do so, especially in the manner a steel is played (with opposing forces of the fingers vs thumb).  If such does prove a problem, affixing it to a wider flat base would correct that problem... perhaps several license plates end to end?  ; )

When tackling an unusual project, I recommend a "subconscious" method of design (I use this regularly in many areas):  sit down with the item in front of you, clear your mind of intentional thought, and just let ideas flow.  Don't try to force it.  Doesn't matter where your mind takes you; just let the imagination run free.  Soon a "brilliant idea" will likely present itself seemingly "out of nowhere", as you are letting the creative area of your brain override the "logical" area that's putting up brick walls.  It is often surprising what results. : )

Greg Bement said:

I call that 'staring at goats.'...

Wayfinder said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service