Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

So... I'm sitting here looking at my piezo that I heated up to much and ruined and I started to wonder what this thing is made out of. Brass and ceramic? Is there anything else to it? Are there other ways to make a similar object that vibrates and transfers the energy into electric current? I'm trying to google "alternatives to piezo" but I'm coming up short. Has anyone ever made something like that from scratch? I've made mag pickups, but that's a heck of a lot of work and a different kind of monster all together.

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The magic ingrediant is piezo-electric crystals bro - I think you can find the same stuff in quartz clocks an watches, but as to how you go about making it into a pup is anyones guess!

From my understanding a piezo really is just some of these crystals between some brass and some ceramicy stuff, so it could be straight forward.... though when you can buy them for 50p each, its hardly worth it... except for the satisfaction of saying ' I did that!!'
Yeah. My problem is I need to buy them in bulk so they are cheap. Anyone have a good source that takes paypal? It's the only place I have cash to burn right now.
How's 20 for 8 bucks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIEZO-DISCS-DISKS-w-o-Leads-NEW-3-4-Dia-Lot-of-...

Jason May said:
Yeah. My problem is I need to buy them in bulk so they are cheap. Anyone have a good source that takes paypal? It's the only place I have cash to burn right now.
Done and done. Thanks fellas.

Ted Crocker said:
How's 20 for 8 bucks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIEZO-DISCS-DISKS-w-o-Leads-NEW-3-4-Dia-Lot-of-...

Jason May said:
Ted Crocker said:

Ted, do you solder your own leads on those? Any tips on that?
Tres, I solder the tits on as a first step... A different day i solder the wires. I't makes a big difference to have the wire and solder tits ...

Tres Seaver said:
Ted Crocker said:

Ted, do you solder your own leads on those? Any tips on that?
Ted Crocker said:
Tres, I solder the tits on as a first step... A different day i solder the wires. I't makes a big difference to have the wire and solder tits ...

So, you just solder one blob onto the brass, and another onto the ceramic?
Yes Tres, I presolder all the piezos - a blob of solder for when i need to connect a wire another day

Tres Seaver said:
Ted Crocker said:

Ted Crocker said:
Yes Tres, I presolder all the piezos - a blob of solder for when i need to connect a wire another day

Tres Seaver said:
Ted Crocker said:

i drill a small hole in the brass part

Tres Seaver said:
Ted Crocker said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service