Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Building a CTG (Counter Top Guitar).... make your own fau Danelectro

OK, Wichita Sam's been a busy boy.  About a month ago, a local kitchen design store offered me their unused, unclaimed formica counter tops.   You will see that I have plenty of them in tan/brown tones, perfect guitar colors.  Anyway, I've always been a fan of masonite clad Danelectro guitars, so I thought, what-the-heck?,,, why not take a swing at building one of my own.

The following is a slideshow of the Building of a Counter Top Guitar (CTG).

Now if I've got your curousity up, let me make you an offer.  If you would like to try your hand at building your own CTG,  send me an email and then a paper profile of the guitar you wish to build.    Depending on the level of finish you require, you can have the start to your CTG.

Enjoy....  Thanks for watching....

the best,

Wicihita Sam

Views: 2221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow Sam, great job on a nice instrument.  It deserves a longer look.  

And a listen??  How does it sound?

Thanks for posting the progress, it's great to see the steps.  Sam,  I think posts like this are better suited to a blog post than a forum discussion.  It keeps all your content on your page and easy to find in the future.  

The future is almost here...

With the two big old pups, she has a deep throated moan..... but, she's very even tempered.....

Sam--

how thin (thick?) did you leave the top & bottom, in the hollowed out areas?

I kept our old formica kitchen countertops; real glad for this idea to repurpose them!! 

thanks for any info you can provide.

rusty,

Probably the formica plus 1/4" of the particleboard.... I think on the next build, I'll probably go to 1/8" thickness of particle board to lighten it up a little more.  As it is, it is plenty strong. 

BTW, it is now 2 weeks that the CTG is being passed around some of the rock bands here in Wichita.

the best,

Wichita Sam

rusty old engine said:

Sam--

how thin (thick?) did you leave the top & bottom, in the hollowed out areas?

I kept our old formica kitchen countertops; real glad for this idea to repurpose them!! 

thanks for any info you can provide.

http://www.joesguitars.com/  hey Sam looks like your not the only one doing this....check out the Diner guitar-bass models ....way cool !!!!

Randy,

Thanks for the link...  I like that they are using vintage formica/masonite table tops... That's where I'm headed for future builds...  I might need help with marketing... I have trouble thinking about $ 1,000 + for a guitar from totally recycled materials....

thanks,

Sam

I love it!

can enyone tell me how did he cut the inside of the guitar?

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/photo/dewdrop10-004?context=latest here`s a lap dulci with formica top and fretboard overlay

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service