Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Building a Stroviols - What is the resonator attached to?

I was looking at Stroviols because I think they are very cool. Everyone I've seen has some sort of disk that the horn goes into. What do people use for that diaphram shape? Obviously you can use any type of horn.

Views: 576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Luck with this one. I find them very fasinating. Reproductions are still available for sale. Finding an old broken Victrola at a local flea market might be the best way to get parts and investigate it's construction. I look forward to seeing if you tackle this inspiration. Enjoy, Keni Lee   
Well. I do have an old Victrola. Not one I want to butcher, but I can look at the horn. I was just wondering if people bought old model T horns and used the bottom part of that to attach trumpets, horns, etc... to it. And it looks like a lot of people either stitch things together or machine their own "whatchamacallit". I wonder if there are "standard" or "common" items that people use. Need to google more. Not finding a lot on them. I just think they look awesome. And I see horns at flea markets all the time, so it would be a fun project. Essentially they are stick with a horn jammed in it. LOL.
Jason, I`ve been researching an idea for such a build for awhile now. I saw once where someone long ago made a d-bow type of stringed instrument with a Stro type of diaphram and horn on it. I was takin to cajun and we both agreed that on old car horn diaphram might be the ticket. I did notice on the stro that the bridge is metal and connects to the diaphram which is how the vibration from the strings gets the sound. If you look in .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh_violin
I just popped of the thingy from my Brunswick. What is this piece called? There must be other things like old car horns etc that have these. Or someone must replicate these things. I touch the needle and even without the horn its loud. I'm sure I can find a few components somewhere to replicate it. Will be searching craigslist and fleamarkets for record players. I've been thinking about making myself and electric single string bass. But this would be FAR cooler. LOL. Thanks for the input guys.
I just had an idea after looking at that pic...how about a motorcycle horn, I have an old one laying in the garage. I`ll have to get it out and check if I can attach a bridge to it. If not that I`m sure if we get cajun on board he can give some in put into this.

Jason May said:
I just popped of the thingy from my Brunswick. What is this piece called? There must be other things like old car horns etc that have these. Or someone must replicate these things. I touch the needle and even without the horn its loud. I'm sure I can find a few components somewhere to replicate it. Will be searching craigslist and fleamarkets for record players. I've been thinking about making myself and electric single string bass. But this would be FAR cooler. LOL. Thanks for the input guys.

I'm looking at antique car horns right now. Really need to keep the budget down. But yes, a motorcycle horn or anything with a diaphragm should do. I'm a creative guy with enough tools to get my bridge to touch it. Thanks for the help. I'm so tempted to just use this. I'd use the guitar more than the record player. That's for sure. And I could always take this off the guitar if I want to listen to a record. HA!
http://www.springersmusic.co.uk/Library/Stroviols.htm here`s a great site with lots of info on the Stroh and different stringed instruments that use either a horn or diaphram to produce more sound.
Awesome. Currently trying to source or fabricate diaphragms.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service