Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

i see people dumping good money into these folkart builds , fact of the matter is if yer spending 3-4-5 hundred dollars into a box guitar , ya have more money than common sense  .ive been bouncing around between the nation and handemade clubhouse since 2009 , there are some awesome builds coming out of both places , fact of the matter is , some seem to be forgetting the fact that a box guitar is exactly what it is , and to think that your buying a Martin or Taylor ,Gibson quality , your sadly mistaken50.00 or 500.00 its a BOX GUITAR , ive seen in the past 3 years some very greedy builders , they throw out a half a dozen BOX Guitars , and think that theyre going to make millions on them , how foolish is this too even think that way , this is a hobby , there are no profrssional builders here , or they would be working for Martin or Taylor ect.

What ive been seeing here in the past few years is that greed is taking over the hobby and ruining the fun and friendships that were originally the good intensions of the building process and these great websites , i see alot of poor sportsmanship , gingerbread these builds up all you want to , but facts are facts , it is a BOX GUITAR,what are people not understanding here ? i find this to be a sad situation to ruin friendships over a box and a stick.

If you expect a certain type or style in one of these FOLKART pieces , then build it yourself , thats what started this whole deal , and not buying and expecting a personalized build from someone else .sure a few have made some awesome quality builds ,great going guys ! , and awesome creativity from  those that have.

the other thing is , if you dont know the builder PERSONALY, you shouldnt be sending money in advance , thats just down right stupid , no matter what the reasons told may be , if you do , you stand a good chance of loosing out , for instance , if you front up moneys for a build from a certain person , and tragedy occures such as death or injury , and the builder cant get the build finished , are you going to go try to sue the family of the deceased ? thats just dedundant and unheartful, and again greedy as hell , when a build is posted and  its already complete , thats when you buy it and not until then

just my opinion , but i feel this all makes sense , thanx for reading , lets get back to the fun of it , and not making this HOBBY into a grudge match of backyard builders

steve smith

dewy-dewtron  

Views: 2475

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

LOL !   my God , Im sorry i even brought this up , opinions are like assholes everyone has one .

Yeah!!! I'm glad we found someone to blame.... hahahahaha!  Seriously, no harm, no foul....

Sam

steve smith-- Dewy Dewtron said:

LOL !   my God , Im sorry i even brought this up , opinions are like assholes everyone has one .

Here is question...

if you are building a Cigar Box with a stick and selling it cheap... say $100.   Who much time and do money do you hav e in it?  

If you are building a High end Cigar Box with a neck on it and selling it for Top dollar... Who much time and money do you have into that? 

I'm guessing the $100. CGB is making a better profit the the High end rig... give parts and labor...

wow, love this thread.

Now I am a rookie at this by all means (going on 1 year and under 15 total builds. Anyhoo. After I built the Chess Paul 6 string, a tribute to 3 things (les paul, chess records, and those who recorded for them) (YAWN sorry).

The cost for the items to build was up around $135.00 when I was finally finished. I did not log the hours for the Chess build like I did the McGinnis Build (see my pics at CBN, someone paid me to build them a CBG and I logged 10 hours/ 2 months) The Chess Paul has no exotic wood, so to me, due to the cost of materials, yes, this is my high end guitar so far.

Perhaps one has to define what "high end" and "low end" means. Hahaha- just kidding, that will stir up another pot of **** won't it?

I have done plenty of research by the fellas who do this for a living, and I am betting that they do have upwards $200-250 in their materials cost for the build alone. So yea, I can see why I some folks have their 6 strings for 300-400- again, I am a novice so I may be way off.

My builds are low cost, locally store bought wood, 4.00 boxes, cb gitty parts, handmade this and recycled that. After the build it may cost up to $40.00 to build. Time differs with each build. Then comes the magic question from someone, 'how much you want for that?" hahaha

One last note, I imagine the craftsmanship of the build needs to be accounted for also. If I am paying $3-400.00 for a handmade 6 string guitar, yes, I will expect that in 1-2 years it has not fallen apart.

For the record, I love this site and CBG sites like it. I love seeing everyone's work and learning from everyone. Yes, I am a rookie and some of my estimations or assumptions may be way off base- - LOL

Best wishes-

Lonman

all depends on how you price your labor.... if I set up to do multiples of three string fretless, I can do in 3 hours or less and buying bulk less than 20 dollars including piezo.

a high end custom will take 20-40 hours and as much as the customer will pay for exotic woods and pickups...

oh, all my CBGs have necks...lol

the best,

Sam

Jeff said:

Here is question...

if you are building a Cigar Box with a stick and selling it cheap... say $100.   Who much time and do money do you hav e in it?  

If you are building a High end Cigar Box with a neck on it and selling it for Top dollar... Who much time and money do you have into that? 

I'm guessing the $100. CGB is making a better profit the the High end rig... give parts and labor...

BUMP !!

lol I love this discussion Dewy :)

you know what i think the best thing that anyone can do is gently discouraging the younguns from selling prematurely.  THere are so many offloading crap on ebay at $65 and we all know it.  How can you gently tell a guy to ease up, that he wont be proud of those ones in a couple years ??

that, to my way of thinking is the $64,000 question..  Egos are fragile round here and there, we all know it.  You dont wanna discourage anybody.  But all those noobs selling their first few is not helping anybody in any way..

My attempt...

ha those guys all know me for a conceited arrogant wanker anyhow..

look mate youre doing great, those cbgs are really really nice.  Why I sure wish my first had been that nice.  BUt you know what?  Im soo glad i didnt sell any of my first few.. Because if they were out there in the hands of someone who paid me good money for em.. Id be ashamed knowing now all the things i coulda done better..  I suggest you give them to friends and family for cost only for the first year.  Reimburse yourself for the tuners frets and strings for sure, but make it clear to the buyers thats whats going on.  Dont even factor your time in, this is a hobby you do for enjoyment, remember??  As great as I think your cbgs are, I really advise you to refrain from selling any until your second year, for your own future peace of mind, trust me on this one day soon you will so very glad i told you this, you may seek me out and thank me.

discuss ??

nothing wrong with growing your skills and moving on to more complicated stuff.

we do this for fun after all.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service