Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Hello all,

First time here, and I found the place while searching for wiring diagrams.

Found one by Ted Crocker, that lead me here.

I'm currently making my fifth stringed box and this is the first where I'll have a magnetic pick up.

There'll also be two piezos.  I have three way switch.

Now I found this diagram...

http://handmademusicclubhouse.com/m/photo/large?id=4519676:Photo:33...

..but I have one question.

Would there be any advantage to having the volume pot wried to just the mag pickup, and having the piezos go directly to the output ?

In my previous build with two piezos and a volume pot, it always is on full volume.

Thinking that maybe the magnetic one might overpower the piezos and so be the one needing some control.

Thanks for any info.

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The obvious and not-so-obvious:

If you wire the piezos directly to the jack then of course they will always produce sound.  In this case the only use for the 3-way switch would be to cut the mag in or out.

I have successfully wired dual piezos and a mag before with no discernible loss of function.  Yes, the power of the mag may "overpower" the piezos... but that will be the case regardless of whether you wire the piezo to the jack or not.  The suggestion there is to use as low-power a mag as you have available (a Telecaster or single rather than a high-power humbucker might be a good choice).  However I've used humbuckers and piezos before with no problem (see alternative following).  I have found bridge piezos to be excellent offsets to a neck mag.

How you use the piezos will make a difference.  Serial increases piezo power, parallel increases richness of sound.  If mixing with a mag you may want to go serial for added power.  This offers the added advantage of a greater tonal difference between the mag and piezos. If you try this and don't like how the piezos sound in serial, it's easy enough to change them back to parallel.  Try both and see which you prefer.

I don't know as there is need for a volume pot on the piezos when mixed with a mag.  I would lean toward two volume pots:  one for the mag alone (between the mag and the switch) and then a Master volume just before the jack that controls overall volume output.  With a pot on the mag you can balance it with the piezos and then use the Master pot to control overall volume to the jack.   In this instance the diagram you have would work fine;  just add a volume pot between the mag and the switch (and change the piezo wiring from parallel to serial).

Hi Laurence,

I made that wiring diagram for a member who requested it that way.  I actually like your way better.  I'd wire the volume pot between the mag pup and the 3 way switch.  I've done it with 2 volumes but, like you, always had the piezo volume turned to 11.  When combining a piezo & a mag I always like a 3 way switch so I have the option to completely remove one or the other from the circuit.  I always wire the piezos parallel which results in less impedance and more output.

Good luck!  Post some pics & vids of your builds. 

Ted

Thanks for all the advice.

Yes I had hoped the volume would be mainly to balance the mag with the piezos.

I fear I may have just ruined this built about an hour ago.

Cutting away a notch on the neck inside the box, for the mag pickup, may have compromised the rigidity a bit too much.It is reinforced with a solid bit of hardwood, but the neck itself is a sandwich ply of 6 yard sticks from a hardware store.

If worst comes to worst, I do have another oak neck that's half built and I could adapt the box to fit.

I'll post some photos of my other builds later.

You can reinforce most botches by gluing on another piece of wood.  If it's inside the box, no one will see it.   Oak works well for such as it adds considerable strength.  You can glue it to the bottom if there is room, or on the sides.  You can even build a "bridge" on the sides to leave room for the pickup.  Lots of ways to reinforce a too-thin neck.   I it's on the outside of the box... make the reinforcement decorative.  Who's gonna know? :D

Wayfinder said:

You can reinforce most glitches by gluing on another piece of wood.  If it's inside the box, no one will see it.   Oak works well for such as it adds considerable strength.  You can glue it to the bottom if there is room, or on the sides.  You can even build a "bridge" on the sides to leave room for the pickup.  Lots of ways to reinforce a too-thin neck.   I it's on the outside of the box... make the reinforcement decorative.  Who's gonna know? :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service