Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I started my first CBG yesterday and learned that I can't drill a straight hole to save my life ;o) So I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive drill press. Anyone care to offer some advice on what to look for?

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can get a cheap one at home depot, lowe's or harbor freight. Make sure it has a crank for lowering and raising. And while your at it buy some round sanding drums that will work in a drill press. They are handy for sanding or rounding edges. I've had deltas and ryobies both have been good to me. Good Luck and enjoy building.
Hi julie, for occasional hobby use, Harbor Freight has an inexpensive (89.99) benchtop drill press that should work fine.
Click here to see it on their website

Steve mentioned the sanding drums. They can be very helpful and Harbor Freight has a bargain at $7.99. Click here to see them on their website.

Here's one in action from my Hot Rod guitar progress blog

Sears has a Craftsman drill press for $119.99. Click here to see it on their website. I use a Craftsman a couple models above this one.

Good luck!
I like the looks of the Craftsman press, so I think I might go to Sears after work tomorrow to see if they have one in the store. Thanks for the advice guys! :o)
Ted Crocker said:
Hi julie, for occasional hobby use, Harbor Freight has an inexpensive (89.99) benchtop drill press that should work fine.
Click here to see it on their website

Steve mentioned the sanding drums. They can be very helpful and Harbor Freight has a bargain at $7.99. Click here to see them on their website.

Here's one in action from my Hot Rod guitar progress blog

Sears has a Craftsman drill press for $119.99. Click here to see it on their website. I use a Craftsman a couple models above this one.

Good luck!
I'd suggest that the motor you end up with be a 1750 RPM, rather than a 3450 RPM (those two RPM choices are the most common). You'll want that motor to produce its power at a slower speed for larger holes - high speed is usually only good for small holes through metal, but large holes (for things like hole saws, forstner bits, things that are useful for guitar making) need lower speeds. The Craftsman should be the better of the two choices - you'll want at least a 1/2" chuck capacity.
I have the Harbor Freight drill press. I bought 5 years ago when then NEED was greater then the funding.
I have used the crap outa this thing and it's still going strong. Now I'm not gonna tell you it's as good as as a name brand or bigger machine, but it works.

And if you look around on the net, you can find coupons to cut the price, or they are usually on sale ..... 5 years ago they were $59.99, I got mine for $39.99.

Matt -

disclaimer - as with all Harbor Freight stuff, your milage may vary.
again, I'm a believer in CL. got a new in the box for $ 35 that is comparable to what is in the pics...... works great.... ahhh thanks for the tip on drill speed.... I'm getting some "tearout" with fostner bits... I'll try to slow things down... hard for a guy with adult ADD ... heheheheheehehe

the best,

Wichita Sam
My Craftsman has sets of different size pulleys inside to easily change the speed
I have a 5 speed that I picked up at a car boot sale (yard sale?) for £20.....
pawn shop everyone is out of work and theyre not taking tools you can get a small drill press for less than 50 bucks. flea markets are another solid bet, craigs list. or you can make one i saw one in popular mechanic all outta wood holds an electric hand drill. or get a drill guide. peice of toungue and groove works fine for me http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip040227wb.html

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service