Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Thought it would be nice to have this all in one place.

Most dulcimers include the following frets from the chromatic (all of 'em) fingerboard:

0 2 4 5 7 9 10 11 12

I also use a simplified one:

0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12

For both of those, you can capo up to the 2 fret and also play in minor.

And here is the blues-cimer. I just made two and the are lots of fun to play, you can easily use Shane's videos over in "how to play" to get lots of ideas for improvising.

0 3 7 10 12 (optional 6)


I use http://www.fretfind.ekips.org/2d/standard.php. Enter your data and then specify "multi-page PDF" on the second page.

Use a highlighter to mark the frets you'll be using. Transfer only those to your fingerboard, and voila!

Views: 1256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you have a long fingerboard:

0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12 14 16 17 19 21 24

Underlined are octaves.
Okay, and this is why the #10 optional comes in handy, when you tune DAC (ionian) So from now on, I'm putting them in.

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/video/blue-hand-medieval-song
Hi Dianne,
I have just been thinking about having a go sometime making a dulcimer and then I see your post.
Is there someplace I can go to on the web that gives me info about dulcimers as I have not a clue on them?
I see from your comments that some frets are used and others are not.
How do you know which ones?
Sorry if I sound dumb but I don't know the first thing about them!
Hogs.
Hogs, you just use your regular fret template that you've always used, but only include the frets listed at the top of this thread. That's it. Same scale lenght that you find comfy, same bridge placement. Just leave some frets off it.

Then tune it DAD or GDG or AEA or EBE or whatever you usually tune your 3-stringers, and Bob's your uncle.


Hogs Grunt said:
Hi Dianne,
I have just been thinking about having a go sometime making a dulcimer and then I see your post. Is there someplace I can go to on the web that gives me info about dulcimers as I have not a clue on them? I see from your comments that some frets are used and others are not.
How do you know which ones?
Sorry if I sound dumb but I don't know the first thing about them!
Hogs.
I thought it might be something like that but it is nice to have it confirmed.
I shall be reading your thread more closely tomorrow as it has gone midnight where I am and it is a bit late to concentrate.
Many thanks for your help.
Hogs.

Diane said:
Hogs, you just use your regular fret template that you've always used, but only include the frets listed at the top of this thread. That's it. Same scale lenght that you find comfy, same bridge placement. Just leave some frets off it.

Then tune it DAD or GDG or AEA or EBE or whatever you usually tune your 3-stringers, and Bob's your uncle.


Hogs Grunt said:
Hi Dianne,
I have just been thinking about having a go sometime making a dulcimer and then I see your post. Is there someplace I can go to on the web that gives me info about dulcimers as I have not a clue on them? I see from your comments that some frets are used and others are not.
How do you know which ones?
Sorry if I sound dumb but I don't know the first thing about them!
Hogs.
Hi Hogs, I added 2 discussions to the group Dulcimer Village that will give you some background, What's an Appalacian/Mountain Dulcimer? and What's a Hammer Dulcimer? I hope these give you insight. Hopefully other members with more knowledge than me will add more (hint hint Diane).
Thanks Ted.
Hogs.

Ted Crocker said:
Hi Hogs, I added 2 discussions to the group Dulcimer Village that will give you some background, What's an Appalacian/Mountain Dulcimer? and What's a Hammer Dulcimer? I hope these give you insight. Hopefully other members with more knowledge than me will add more (hint hint Diane).

Thanks Diane! I was wondering what to do if your fretboard went further than 12 frets. :P

Arnold

Diane in Chicago said:

if you have a long fingerboard:

0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12 14 16 17 19 21 24

Underlined are octaves.

Finally found this page again and this time I've BOOKMARKED it! Gonna start trying to build some "pickin' sticks" (Dulci-Strummers, whatever-you-wanna-call-them) to sell at the hospital's annual arts and craft show. :)

Here's the diagram I usually refer people to:

Click on the image to get a bigger copy. The scale length in the diagram is 25.5", so those details will vary depending on your exact scale length. Can use the Stewart-MacDonald fret calculator to calculate the fret positions for your scale length. Just be sure to specify "Dulcimer" as your Instrument type, so you don't have to worry which chromatic guitar frets you don't want to include.

-Rand.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service