Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Hello all; i have a question in regards to fret spacing on  a mountain dulcimer. i found a md fret calculator. and it's asking for the string length in order to calculate the fret spacing.  are they wanting  overall length uncut or the length of the string  installed on  the m.d.  can someone help thank you   K.D.

Views: 1657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are asking for the distance from the nut to the bridge.
its the length from bridge to nut called string scale or scale length
Usually it's called VSL (Vibrating String Length) and it is the distance, inside to inside, from nut to bridge. This holds true for any stringed instrument.
thank you for answering my question.    i input the data and hit print,  then i used stewart-Mcdonald fret calculator and found a difference in spacing from one to the other  using the same scale lenght  can you tell why the difference?  thanks again for all the help. K.D.
http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=...   This is the best fret chart around. I`ve turned alot of builders on to this chart. I have one thats going on 15 years old now. It`s the easiest way to do fret spacing for mountain dulci, banjo, guitar, bass guitar and even mando. You just copy the fret marks off the chart. Does scale lengths from 31" to 13" with 1/2 measurements in between.
Which calculator did you use, besides the stewmac one?
Diane; I used the one on musical instr. makers forum  under fretting a mountain dulcimer.  thanks for the info Randy i will check it out

http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=...the best $12.50 that you will ever spend

Wow, that's a cool forum!  Where on there are the calculators?  I couldn't find it.

Keith Duncan said:
Diane; I used the one on musical instr. makers forum  under fretting a mountain dulcimer.  thanks for the info Randy i will check it out
Diane i found it in the archived files on fretting a mountain dulcimer the calculator was  posted there  by Brian Ramsey. Dean Kimball is the original writer of the  book    Constructing a mountain dulcimer   which is out of print hope this help's i will try today to see how i got to the arc. files 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service