Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

starting to get a real collection of guitars, now. anyone have a nice plan for a rack? a friend suggested hanging them on wall from a chair rail, but not sure how they'd attach to it. thoughts?

Views: 941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was thinking of something like that. Do yours require a wider headstock? my necks/headstocks don't flare out. Wouldn't want to hang via tuners. I pictured something V shaped with rollers that gently squeeze as the tool (guitar) pulls them down. Hmmm...
I've been web-searching fruitlessly and thinking on this wall hanging problem today. the problem is none of the hangers will grip a neck that has a flush headstock. they all require a traditional flared head. then it dawned on me - use one of these types:

and hang the guitars with the neck/head down and the box resting on the hook. hmmmm... 15 minutes left to edit your comment.
yep, considered that option. it's how they hang acoustic guitars at my local guitar center. they have to hang on the tuners, but these are pretty light guitars, after all. a variation would be to put a strap button on the back of the headstock. then use a strip of leather with a buttonhole slot on one end and a loop on the other.
Craig working on your description I was thinking about rubber covered twin cams on either side of the neck the rubber texture on the cam would "grip" the neck and not allow the tuners to be dammaged holding the guitar by the neck it would work for flared and non flared headstocks

James Deeds said:
Craig working on your description I was thinking about rubber covered twin cams on either side of the neck the rubber texture on the cam would "grip" the neck and not allow the tuners to be dammaged holding the guitar by the neck it would work for flared and non flared headstocks

yep, that's what I can picture. something like a cam cleat they use on boats. seems too "hi-tek" for cigar box guitars, though.
Here's a simple design that could be made from wood. Looks like you'd need to add a spring loaded hinge to the design. It could be mounted to a block and mounted to the wall. The guitar body would rest against the wall. http://www.guitarcenter.com/John-Pearse-D-Angle-Guitar-Hanger-77986...
nope not high tek at all got it drawn out and ready to build the prototype I've crunched the nubers and I should be able to put this thing together in about 15 mins so I have my project for tomorrow will post picsafter I put it together

Craig Cox said:

James Deeds said:

yep, that's what I can picture. something like a cam cleat they use on boats. seems too "hi-tek" for cigar box guitars, though.

Guys, I have this problem licked. Check out my universal cigar box guitar wall hanger at www.tobaccoroadguitars.com. I designed a wall hanger that works for necks without a flared headstock and doesn't require anything special to be mounted to the guitar at all. I have about 40 left so tell your friends. I also have a slick little universal stand that works like a charm for most cigar box thicknesses.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service