Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Views: 1401

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Long story short; Is this a "hand tool?" Harbor Freight says, "NO." Therefore no warranty. "Hand Tools" means ONLY Pittsburg wrenches and sockets. What about their 100% Satisfaction Guarantee? According to the District Manager, that is only good for 30 days. I'm getting a little ahead of myself; I bought 12 of these clamps, a few for $3.99 each and a few more on Super Sale for $1.99 each, Then, two of them broke. The tightening handle just broke off. I know these are a little light duty compared to a Stanley, so I was taking it easy. Anyway, after bullying the store manager, he reluctantly agreed to exchange the broken clamps "This ONE TIME, but never again." The store manager also told me that in California (where Harbor Freight is based) they have good lawyers that put together their warranty restrictions. I wonder what that statement means? A Warranty that really doesn't cover anythinig?????? Just thought you Club Members should know.

Hal,

What it means is that you "don't get something for (almost) nothing." and shouldn't expect to.  Harbor Freight fills a niche for low end tools for the hobbist and handiman.  Yes, the fine print seems unfair, but on balance, I can get tools and consumables at very reasonable prices there. 

I've also bought these clamps, and yes, some of them failed.  When I decided I was in this hobby for keeps, I started to up grade to clamps costing 5 times as much.  Better quality, performance and ... no failures.

I donno, my grandma right now would be saying something about "sow's ears and silk purses".  It goes for tools, it goes for stores too.  I'm sympathic to your complaint, but it's the way the world is, especially today.

the best,

Wichita Sam

I never bought from harbor freight, I was always taught to buy a good solid tool that will last. It might cost a bit more but in the end it`s better then having the cheap ones break or not work. Sometimes Rockler has good sales on, I just got a letter in the mail from them...free shipping for a month. I buy alot of the pre-cut exotic`s from them.

Randy,

What Freight is really good for is consumables (sand paper, tape, small drill bits) and what I call "try it one time" tools, like my first fostner bit set that I got before I know what they were or were good for.  At $ 9.99 I could try them out.  If I liked them and found a use for them, I could upgrade to a premium set.  But I never would have risked $ 98 on a similar set.

BTW, that $ 9.99 set of fostner bits is still going strong 3 years and 250 CBGs later....

the best,

Wichita Sam

Randy S. Bretz said:

I never bought from harbor freight, I was always taught to buy a good solid tool that will last. It might cost a bit more but in the end it`s better then having the cheap ones break or not work. Sometimes Rockler has good sales on, I just got a letter in the mail from them...free shipping for a month. I buy alot of the pre-cut exotic`s from them.
Thanks, Guys. Your comments are spot on. You definitely get what you pay for. A Craftsman Warranty at Sears or the tool warranty at Lowes actually means a warranty, and they stand behind what they sell, instead of just hanging "Lifetime  Warranty, 100% Satisfaction Guarantee" signs all over the walls and then NOT backing it up. That was my complaint about Harbor Freight, regardless the price.  
I buy at HF. for some things. Sears or Rockler has better quility clamps.

I have gotten a TON of things at harbor freight and have been very happy with most of them.  Like people have said, you get to try tools for a low cost.  Some tools, you need so rarely, I just can't justify a name brand cost for them.

I got the screw clamps from them and they have not failed yet.  I did not even think about getting the squeeze clamps, just because when I looked at them, I could see that they would be in the trash in a week.

I also do not buy any "Orange" tools. Take a look around H.F., if any power tools have a plain orange plastic housing, they are made by the cheapest standards out there and it WILL fail. I put more faith in the "Blue/Gray" or the "Maroon/Gray" power tools.  Case in point, I got an orange sander and it literally shook itself apart, got a blue sander (paid a bit more) and has lasted about 8 years so far. (despite being dropped numerous times).

I agree with Sam, they fill a Niche. Most of my big shop tools that I rely on and use constantly and need to be accurate are name brand, higher cost, better made tools.  I would NEVER buy a table saw from H.F. but a set of drill bits for wood, why not..

just my 2 cents.

Jeremy

Aren't those clamps disposable?  Usually those orange things disappear or the head pops off before the handle breaks.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service