Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I'm building a 3 string fretless CBG. I'd like to make the nut out of oak I have left over instead of using a bolt. Will this kill the sound? What else could I use? 

Thanks,

Mark  

Views: 1201

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Ted I went Up to lowes to get those corian smples and they had no ide what i was talking about . are they in a hidden place or something ?

Ted Crocker said:

Mark, I've hardened wood toothpick frets soaking with super glue.  

Bone is great!

You can get corian samples in the kitchen counter department in Lowes or Home Depot - a lifetime supply in one trip...

Wood has a warmer tone, plastic or bone is more trebly, less bass. 

I found them in a drawer in the kitchen remodeling section. they were in a drawer - lots of them - and are samples of countertops you can order.

lol explains why i couldnt find them . lol are they nut size or do you have to cut the down ? and how hard are they to cut and shape with hand tools ? LOL told you im like an annoying kid that asks a hundred questions !

I've had good luck using stabilized wood such as Dymonwood, available from knife making suppliers.

Jantz Supply, for one:

WWW.knifemaking.com

Has anyone tried using a piece cut from one of those plastic cutting boards?  They are pretty cheap and even a small one would give you plenty of material.

I have it works pretty good  and easy to cut and file . it acts like wood when working with it .

John Kennedy said:

Has anyone tried using a piece cut from one of those plastic cutting boards?  They are pretty cheap and even a small one would give you plenty of material.

I have used walnut for a nut works pretty good

I've made one from oak, laminated maple and bamboo.  All worked fine. The bamboo wasn't as snappy as the other 2.

None were as crisp as what I've started using now.  1/8-inch brass rod.  I buy it at Lowes, 3 feet for about $3.  I cut it with a small pair of bolt cutters I picked up at Harbor Freight for $5.  Rat-tail file to make a groove in the neck and a triangle file for slots in the nut.  I use it at both ends for bridge and nut. I don't like the all-thread or bolt, so this gives me a really hard surface that looks finished and nice.

Good luck on yours

I have used walnut and a piece of ebony off a old fret board both worked well also used bone that works real good too :)

On another forum I saw a guy that made his from a t-bone steak bone.  I've seen some that are supposed to be petrified mastidon bone.  I think anything that will give a solid break point for the sting will work.

ok how the hell do i get mastdon bone ? im on a new mission .

I`ll stick with what I know sounds the best    Bone blanks for Bobby Ratliff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service