Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I'm new to this forum and so far it's really informative and there's a really nice community. I'm wondering if I can be helped out a little bit... Or a lot.

I'm considering building a guitar, but the catch is. I have no previous guitar making out wood working experience, however I'm not planning on making a particularly hard build (I've done my research); the guitar I'm planning on building is a resonator guitar or "Dobro", and I heard the bodies were often ade if plywood however that did not sacrifice sound quality what so ever, so hopefully I won't have to worry about getting any part of the body into any ideal thickness for sound unless told otherwise. In all honesty though I have no idea what I'm doing.

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome Troy! Get excited! Just ask away! As to the thickness of the body, I think 3/16" sounds better then 1".

Thank you for the offer to help, i really appreciate it!

I'm curious about the thickness that you recommended. I've noticed that a lot of resonators are substantionaly much heavier  than normal acoustic guitars. I'm wondering if the resonator's overall body wall thickness is thicker, or does the resonator cone just add to the weight of the guitar and that the thickness is the same as a standard acoustic?

jim said:

Awesome Troy! Get excited! Just ask away! As to the thickness of the body, I think 3/16" sounds better then 1".

I remembered today that i forgot to add how it was bizarre. I was thinking of possibly attaching a separate instrument onto the guitar, and having it be a supplement to the guitar and not a stand alone instrument. The other thing that makes it bizarre is i'm planning on making the guitar itself fret less and 12 string, i'm going to only place fret markers(like inlays) that show where the frets are instead of having actual frets. Also an optional thing is to make the guitar, upside down if you will. Like having the tuners near the bottom, and the tailpiece on the head, it sounds clunky on a resonator so it's just a thought at the moment.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service