Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

The Indian flute is unique in that it has two chambers, the sound chamber and a Slow Air Chamber.

Views: 1647

Replies to This Discussion

Place the first clamp at the mouthpiece end, and carefully pull out the dowel, adding clamps as you go. This prevents squeeze out on the inside.

While waiting for the glue to dry, move on to the other piece. It's called a Bird regardless of the actual critter. What's important here is that it be flat on the bottom and have a groove to transfer air between chambers. The top is limited only by imagination and carving skills.

Make the bird wider than the air holes by at least 1/4 inch per side and 1/32 deep. Longer than the space between the holes. The groove can be chiseled, Dremel router table shown.

The goove doesn't show in this photo.

If you'd prefer, you can glue a "U" shaped piece of cardboard to the bottom of the bird. Be sure to waterproof it after the glue dries.

WOW Charlie, this is awesome!  Thanks!!  Can't wait to hear it.  I always wanted to make one.

Folks, this is how you do a Progress Blog!  Great job Charlie.

Now that the glue is dry and the bird is finished to your specifications, time to get back to the body. Refine the transition holes, round the barrier to ease air flow, remember to keep the top, called the nest, flat and level. Smooth the area with sandpaper, needle files or emery boards like women use on their nails. The lip, called the splitter, where the airflow hits should be at a 45 degree angle.

Thank you, Ted.

Ted Crocker said:

WOW Charlie, this is awesome!  Thanks!!  Can't wait to hear it.  I always wanted to make one.

Folks, this is how you do a Progress Blog!  Great job Charlie.

I made this jig from scrap 2x stock. Great for holding round objects such as Indian flutes.

Begin rounding the body using a pocketknife, chisel, or whatever, drawknife shown.

Work to an octagon then refine it to round.

Remember to keep the nest area flat.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service