Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Thanks LJ!

Views: 385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The last 2 videos #6 and #7 were done on shorter scale guitars, around 24",I built 2 of those for my son and his buddy. my usual scale is around 26 give or take a half inch. I started using that length after checking it against my taylor (dreadnaught). I figure any scale works ok, But in my experience longer scale = a lil more chime like the differnce between a Strat and a Les Paul. I usually cut my nut in at 30" from the bottom of the board. Then I cut the slot for mystring cut prevention (nail,cotter pin) 1" up from the bottom, I drill my string holes below that 1" mark. cut the neck out to fit the box Im using. Then Ill tap around on the box till I find the spot I think the bridge will sound the best (may adjust that around for the artwork on the box a bit) then I measure that back up to my nut slot and figure out my scale from there. its usually around 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" from the 1" cut. then I let wfret  do the template. I find when I determine the scale ahead of time that the bridge doesnt always end up where I want it. That is how Im doing my fretless nowdays.

The last 4 builds I did were 3 different scales 25 1/2", 26" and 26 1/2". I forgot to hit the verify button on wfret 2 times and marked 2 necks wrong. Haaa. I am still learning something everytime I build.

Hal Somervill said:

Hi LJ, Could you tell me what the distance is from the bridge to the nut on your guitars, and is it consistant with all your builds? Thanks

Hal

LJ,

Thanks for all the info. My first build was a couple inches shorter (nut to bridge 27 1/4") and my last few builds have been longer at around 28 3/4 (nut to bridge). It seems like the longer scales have a much richer sound, although the boxes are completely different in shape and size, so it's hard to tell the exact reason for this. On this Clubhouse site, I ran across a "fret guide" that lets you calculate your own fret measurements, and I plan on using those measurements, even though it's a little time consuming. Plus, I couldn't get wfret to work. I'll probably just make a template of the measurements I calculate and go from there. Being a noob, I really like playing the fretless, but the next step in my new hobby is to fret a guitar. Thanks again for your help.

Hal

LJ said:

The last 2 videos #6 and #7 were done on shorter scale guitars, around 24",I built 2 of those for my son and his buddy. my usual scale is around 26 give or take a half inch. I started using that length after checking it against my taylor (dreadnaught). I figure any scale works ok, But in my experience longer scale = a lil more chime like the differnce between a Strat and a Les Paul. I usually cut my nut in at 30" from the bottom of the board. Then I cut the slot for mystring cut prevention (nail,cotter pin) 1" up from the bottom, I drill my string holes below that 1" mark. cut the neck out to fit the box Im using. Then Ill tap around on the box till I find the spot I think the bridge will sound the best (may adjust that around for the artwork on the box a bit) then I measure that back up to my nut slot and figure out my scale from there. its usually around 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" from the 1" cut. then I let wfret  do the template. I find when I determine the scale ahead of time that the bridge doesnt always end up where I want it. That is how Im doing my fretless nowdays.

The last 4 builds I did were 3 different scales 25 1/2", 26" and 26 1/2". I forgot to hit the verify button on wfret 2 times and marked 2 necks wrong. Haaa. I am still learning something everytime I build.

Hal Somervill said:

Hi LJ, Could you tell me what the distance is from the bridge to the nut on your guitars, and is it consistant with all your builds? Thanks

Hal

Great Lessons!  Thanks.  This helps a LOT!  (I'm so slow, I joined the conversation 3 months late!)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service