Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

necks construction and fretting about them.

i needng  some one to lead me to some information on building necks for 3 and 4 string necks and i'm trying to fugure out making a fret board and attaching it to the neck and extending it on the box or should it end at the joint of the box and neck . i had what i thought was a fine looking neck but i decided to fret it i found soft ware for figuring frets and started laying it out . the fret board made the neck too thick. i tried to cut the neck down. and made a great big old mess. how bout some help on general neck construction and fret board construction i would appreciate some help with my fat neck , fret board construction. esp. radius.and gen stuff  like that

thanks with putting up with me

mike

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1X2 of oak, maple or (whatever hardwood you have)

level the fretting area... see my "tipS" on the subject....  http://handmademusic.ning.com/forum/topics/fretboard-truingleveling...

shape headstock (good rule is to add at lease 3" to the greatest # of tuners on any side.... 2+2 have a min. of 5 inch headstock)

shape back... easiest to begin with is a small table router and a roundoff bit....

if you want it "thinner/faster", use handtools (planes, scrapers, shaves) to shape to configuration... In the beginning I would suggest a more "V" shape for it's strength, than a "C" shape... it's thicker in the middle of the neck where most of the stress is carried.

Even if you add a seperate fretboard that's a 1/4" X 2, you should still have a very playable neck....

just some thoughts, hope it's useful,

the best,

Wichita Sam

thanks for the help . i went out to the shop the next day and had a much better day. my old shop chief use to tell me it was important to be smarter than the epuipment you are trying to operate. some times i think we need a time out room in the club house to send me to when i start to lose it. when you make the neck do you glue it to the top of the box. and do you make it even with the top of the box or do you take the fret board into the box a couple of inches on the top . i see radius guides in some of the blogs how do you use them is the frett board rounded or flat?do you keep the neck the same thickness from the top all the way to the box or does it have a taper?do you install the neck at some kind of angle in respect to the box.or is it dead flat . i'm fixin' to go read your truing and leveling discussion in the forum thanks again for thanks for working with me . i do kinda wish some one would do a blog on building a neck from start to finish with lots of pictures mabe there is one .i just havn't found it yet,

mike

Wichita Sam said:

level the fretting area... see my "tipS" on the subject....  http://handmademusic.ning.com/forum/topics/fretboard-truingleveling...

shape headstock (good rule is to add at lease 3" to the greatest # of tuners on any side.... 2+2 have a min. of 5 inch headstock)

shape back... easiest to begin with is a small table router and a roundoff bit....

if you want it "thinner/faster", use handtools (planes, scrapers, shaves) to shape to configuration... In the beginning I would suggest a more "V" shape for it's strength, than a "C" shape... it's thicker in the middle of the neck where most of the stress is carried.

Even if you add a seperate fretboard that's a 1/4" X 2, you should still have a very playable neck....

the best,

Wichita Sam

Wow!!!  Lots of questions... that's ok... my answers will be how I generally do it now... after 260+ builds...many good builders will do it differently, but here's what I do....  (answers in the body of your question posting)

mike miller said:

thanks for the help . i went out to the shop the next day and had a much better day. my old shop chief use to tell me it was important to be smarter than the epuipment you are trying to operate. some times i think we need a time out room in the club house to send me to when i start to lose it.

when you make the neck do you glue it to the top of the box. 

Answer:  It depends.  If I'm building on the top, I glue neck thru designs to blocks in the neck and tail of the box.  If I'm building on the bottom, I glue the neck to the bottom (the new top)... If I'm bulding a "bolt-on" design, I glue a 2 1/2 to 3 inch wide block to bolt the neck to inside the box.

and do you make it even with the top of the box or do you take the fret board into the box a couple of inches on the top . 

Answer: both ways, but design wise, I like the looks of the fretboard going about 1-2 inches onto the top.

i see radius guides in some of the blogs how do you use them is the frett board rounded or flat?

Answer:  Since I mostly build 3-4 stringers, my fretboards are left flat, except for a little sanding of the top edges to make them more comfortable to play.  6 stringers are generally radius'ed and you need to buy or build a radius sanding block.

do you keep the neck the same thickness from the top all the way to the box or does it have a taper?

Answer:  Again, because I mostly build 3-4 stringers, I don't taper necks...

do you install the neck at some kind of angle in respect to the box.or is it dead flat .  

Answer:  On neck thru designs, I don't bother with neck angle, it can be done, but not really necessary.  I've gone to building a lot of "bolt-on" neck designs, so that I can adjust the action easily, including neck angle.

i'm fixin' to go read your truing and leveling discussion in the forum thanks again for thanks for working with me .

Answer:  You're going about it right, asking a lot of questions... Glad to help

i do kinda wish some one would do a blog on building a neck from start to finish with lots of pictures mabe there is one .i just havn't found it yet,

Answer:  Mike, while it helps to see blogs and tutorials, I needed to build several CBGs just to wrap my mind around basic guitar design essentials.  I see people continuing to make the same design errors and not growing, because CBGs are so simple that you can get a playable instrument and do a lot things "wrong" (meaning things that you could do better, getting better results.)  After a few builds, I would look at the work and posting of experienced builders, and then I was in a better position to learn.  Even then I almost never do things the same way (exactly) that other builders do, but basic principles still apply....  If you have questions, keep asking, but part of the learning is building, and messing up, and fixing it and then designing and building better the next time.

the best,

Wichita Sam

mike

Wichita Sam said:

the best,

Wichita Sam

i finished the 3 string that we were descussing it is the best sounding one i've made yet and the neck is the most advanced with a fret board laid out properly more or less a pezio pickup system with a vol. control . i love it will get the pictures up soon. thanks Sam for all the help

mike

Mike,

You are most welcome!  Glad that you are happy with the result of this build.  That's really important.  CBG building is not a competition.  If you are satisfied then that's good enough.  I will never be the woodworker that folks like JuJu are, nor the electronics wizard that Ted is.  But, if I get a CBG that I am happy to play and comfortable with passing on to someone else, then that's enough

The more you build, the more you can tweek your design and building skills.  There are still things that I'm wanting to learn, but I've reached the place that I can build a good looking and playing CBG (almost!) every time.  Three years ago, if you had told me that I would be building and playing guitars, I would have laughed.... Now, I'm having fun.  I hope that you do too.

the best,

Wichita Sam

mike miller said:

i finished the 3 string that we were descussing it is the best sounding one i've made yet and the neck is the most advanced with a fret board laid out properly more or less a pezio pickup system with a vol. control . i love it will get the pictures up soon. thanks Sam for all the help

mike

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service