Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

after some bad experiences with scarf joints,

tried out this headstock design on my latest cbg and it works a treat.

Firstly routed out a slot for the tuners, then chiseled out a check on
the back for the pegs

Views: 285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah me too !! I`m buidling one now using a 1x2 maple and I too did not use a scarf joint headstock. I just might try that idea on this one. Cool design!!!
Great solution!
I`m going to do that pocket style but as an added idea - I`m going to run a rod through the sides of the peghead between the tuners and the nut to add the downward force needed for the string angle. My peghead is alot longer then yours pictured here so I will have plenty of room to add the rod. I saw this idea once on an old lap dulcimer.
sounds like a really cool idea, randy. can't wait to see a picture

Randy S. Bretz said:
I`m going to do that pocket style but as an added idea - I`m going to run a rod through the sides of the peghead between the tuners and the nut to add the downward force needed for the string angle. My peghead is alot longer then yours pictured here so I will have plenty of room to add the rod. I saw this idea once on an old lap dulcimer.
Well I dremel routered the pocket today and cut it down to 3/8" depth. Then I cut a 1/4" piece of the Oregon Ironwood - like the fretboard is - and inserted that piece in the pocket. Gives it a nice 2-tone look. I angled the pocket so the 3 tuners will be straight to the bone nut. I`m going to do the rod pocket tomarrow, I`ll post a pic when it`s done.

c# merle said:

Randy S. Bretz said:
c# merle I also did something else, I drilled a hole in front of the nut and stuck a brass rod from one side to the other. This will act as a string tree

c# merle said:

Randy S. Bretz said:
this is a real lovely looking job randy. what depth is the pocket?
Made mine 1/2 inch so i got the string angle i wanted
I made it 3/8" but inlayed a 1/4" piece of the Oregon Ironwood in there to match the fretboard. Plus I did the internal string tree in front of the nut. I carved a small piece of the ironwood between the tuners and the hole. So the strings will bend over the ironwood piece go down the hole around the bottom of the brass rod and back up to the nut. I think doing it this way will be better for tension on the strings at the nut and look cool too.

c# merle said:
this is a real lovely looking job randy. what depth is the pocket?
Made mine 1/2 inch so i got the string angle i wanted
had another try with a little d bow

Pocket style peghead worked great on this build of mine [ bowed dulci ] was able to keep a thick neck and still easy to install tuners. I carved a pocket on the top and the bottom. I freehanded a dremel with a router bit in to make the pocket, was very easy to do. Think I will be doing more of this style peghead in the future. Also the " string tree" worked out great!

you really perfected this style randy. your new dulci is downright awesome

Randy S. Bretz said:
Pocket style peghead worked great on this build of mine [ bowed dulci ] was able to keep a thick neck and still easy to install tuners. I carved a pocket on the top and the bottom. I freehanded a dremel with a router bit in to make the pocket, was very easy to do. Think I will be doing more of this style peghead in the future. Also the " string tree" worked out great!

Always wanted to make a guit using just the bare tree limb without the bend on the end for the peghead. With this idea you started now I can. I`ll just carve a tuner pocket right in it!! Thanks for a great idea !!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service