Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I'm tired of my drill set up and would really like to get a pickup winder soon that will make it less difficult to wind. I've seen JuJu's hand made winder (which is amazing) but I don't have time to machine anything. I found this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SideWinder-Guitar-Pickup-Coil-Winder-W-FOOT-CON...

Anyone have one? What do you use other than hand drills and hand wrapping? I my drop the money to get a fancy one if I can get some product moving. Which I may soon. People are taking interest rapidly.

Views: 1448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jason
Thanks for the mention - i must say i do love playing with my milling Machine and Lathe to make things such as my winder but it was a labour of love took forever - but works spot on i'm real pleased with the end result - having said that the one you added the link to on ebay looks pretty cool for the money and would save lots of time messing around getting parts together and such
juju :)
USE A SEWING MACHINE
While I'd love to just use a sewing machine, I no longer have the patience. I don't have enough time to do what I love, let alone fight my rig or a sewing machine. I may be forced to purchase something unless I can find precise plans somewhere. I wouldn't mind ripping a sewing machine apart and building a rig, but every plan I find on the net is incredibly vague and don't have precise enough instructions. I think I'll be getting a lot of orders soon and will need to get things done fast and well.

Yeah, Juju I wish I had a milling machine. But like you said, I don't have the time to invest. My labors of love at the moment are rejuvinating a 50s Harmony Patrician and sanding it down to bare wood. Re-assembling and re-building. It was a lost cause, but no longer!

Next up is an electric body that is going to get one of my CBG style necks and hand wound pickups. So you can see why I want to get a head start on a winder.
Jason, that looks like a pretty good winder, it'll certainly do the trick. I use a transformer coil winder that I adapted for pickup winding. I don't use any guides or tensioner as I prefer to do it all by feel, so basically mine is just a motor with a counter. Jason, ask Juju, there's a steep learning curve to get a pickup that you, and more important, your clients will like. Just because you can wrap wire around a bobbin a few thousand times doesn't mean you have a great sounding pickup. I've refined my 'recipe' over the years and many many hundreds of pickups. Also, be prepared to have a pile of wasted wire on the floor. This is what I've trashed just in the past few months:

Good luck and let us know if we can lend a hand.
Oh I know. I've already got piles of wire. I've wound many so far and people like them. But I'd really like to have a counter and speed control and all that goodness without spending hours laboring. I thought about getting a winder like you have. I've thought about going that route. You like it? I'm just tired of my awkward drill set up.
Here's one that's similar to mine but without all the programmable options, which I never use anyway. What it has that mine does not is a foot pedal to control speed, which I wish mine had. At $11o this one is a ninety dollars cheaper than mine, but shipping is $65. You'll have to fabricate a bobbin holder to mount on the shaft. Electric Coil Transformer Winding Machine Winder 110V

Here's mine if you're interested, but if I was looking now I'd go with something else. Coil audio Output transformer motor winding machine 2

If you do order one of those, make sure you put in the comments at checkout to include the English manual.

Good luck!
Jason, Here's my winder, I call it the time machine. Yes it's a little out there but so am I. By all means buy the one on ebay. As simple as a winder is they take a lot of parts to build and a machine shop to build it in. But a sewing machine could easly be convertrd. Cheers Bob:)

Ted, thanks for posting the winder.
Bob:)

Ted Crocker said:
Here's one that's similar to mine but without all the programmable options, which I never use anyway. What it has that mine does not is a foot pedal to control speed, which I wish mine had. At $11o this one is a ninety dollars cheaper than mine, but shipping is $65. You'll have to fabricate a bobbin holder to mount on the shaft. Electric Coil Transformer Winding Machine Winder 110V

Here's mine if you're interested, but if I was looking now I'd go with something else. Coil audio Output transformer motor winding machine 2

If you do order one of those, make sure you put in the comments at checkout to include the English manual.

Good luck!
DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER! Bob's has a time machine function that you can set for the future and the pup is already wound
Bob Harrison said:
Jason,

Here's my winder, I call it the time machine. Yes it's a little out there but so am I.
By all means buy the one on ebay. As simple as a winder is they take a lot of parts to build and a machine shop to build it in. But a sewing machine could easly be convertrd.
Cheers

Ted,
My time machine is still new and I have not figured out all the functions and options it has. But I can tell you my milling machine does not have that option... My hope for the time machine is that it will only permit the building of highly sought after pickups and designs like your machine does.

Ted. Is that the only company that makes and sells that version? Do you like the programmable option? I think I'm definitely getting something nice soon. A lot of folks are becoming interested in my pickups. My drill battery keeps dying! Although, I made a guide system today which is VERY helpful.

Ted Crocker said:

Good luck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service