Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Sourcing Materials? Wine boxes, whiskey boxes, cigar boxes?

So, about a week ago I got this bug to build some instruments. I found a book on Amazon (handmade music factory). Book looks good has some nice instructions.

My question for the group is: Where do you source materials from? Things like wine boxes, whiskey boxes, cigar boxes. Any sort of wood box that I can use as a starting place.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Views: 694

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a majic  place were all them supplies come from, they come from the houses of human enjoyments and things the doctors dont want you to enjoy. orno, dats job security  for them.

Dan,

You should be able to find cigar boxes at any local cigar store. Most cigar stores keep their empties to resell to the general public for CBG's, pencil boxes, photo storage, art projects, etc. Some cigar stores will even give them to you for free. I have personally never paid more than $5 bucks for a cigar box. Some of the larger 50 count boxes work great for homemade amplifiers.

Good Luck!

Eric

The local thrift store is one of the places i hit on a weekly basis`s. I like using old silverware boxes for reso builds plus they always have a large assortment of cookie tins on hand. Another idea that i`ve done is make my local cigar shop their own build and paint the stores name on the neck...i traded it for a life time supply of free boxes.

I'm also new to CBGs and have acquired boxes from several sources. I've been to several tobacco shops and was given a few at one and bought a couple at another for $2 each. I ordered a group of 10 random boxes from a place called Cigars International and I have a friend who smokes cigars and he gave me a bunch. eBay is also a good source and I'm looking forward to the yard sale season next summer. There are always cheap pie plates, baking pans, and other things that would make an instrument. 

Never considered thrift stores but there are no shortages of them to check out. Might even get lucky and find an Antique Roadshow treasure! Thanks. 

Randy S. Bretz said:

The local thrift store is one of the places i hit on a weekly basis`s. I like using old silverware boxes for reso builds plus they always have a large assortment of cookie tins on hand. Another idea that i`ve done is make my local cigar shop their own build and paint the stores name on the neck...i traded it for a life time supply of free boxes.

It's not wood, but I've had acceptable success using gallon olive oil tins. Some of the art work is great and they are very sturdy. No need to cut a sound hole in front, just pull out the pouring spout.

I like the idea of making a CBG for the local tobacco shop. I recently visited one shop that had some boxes selling @ $2 & $3. I picked two & when the clerk asked if I wanted anything else. I bought 2 cheap cigars for $1.83. She totaled up the items & said I owed $4.01. I said I believe it should be more and she said "You bought the cigars so I threw in the boxes for free."

I'll confess to smoking a cigar once in a while. But even f I didn't, a couple of cheap cigars I could just throw away was worth it for two boxes. Plus I'm developing a relationship w/the owner.

when i finish one of my cbg i take itto my locale cigar shops[ a half dozen ] . When the see what i do they either give me any emptys or sell for $2.. also bought this pan lid at a dollar store made this 4-string. sounds like a banjo

Attachments:

Very cool!

I have tried  suggest most of the ideas ie: thrift shops, flea mkts, cigar shops and they are all good places to score a box or two. As far as cigar shops go, the going price seems to be $2 for paper & 3 for wood. Most of the paper is wood covered, even the hard board work if you brace the inside ends with wood. Also I confess to enjoying a cigar once in a while, yeah I know their bad for me, but so isn't crossing the street. Anyway I've found that if I go into a cigar store strike up a conversation with the clerk buy a couple cheap cigars. I usually can get the boxes for free.

Also once the word gets out to family & friends I get all kinds of boxes & cookie tins. Still haven't scored on a bed pan though.Now I just need enough time to build them all.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service