Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I'm considering spinning my next reso cone out of aluminum;

If any of you have done this, can you tell me what alloy you prefer?

Views: 285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've not spun a reso cone, not yet at least, that is another on my "I need to try that someday" list, but have spun a few other things at work as a machinist, the 6061-O soft annealed aluminum alloy sheet stock worked like a dream compared to 1050, those were the only two sheet Al the shop had, but I'd have no idea how that would affect the tone one way or another.

The two were just the opposite when doing normal machining on them, 6061-O was like trying to machine chewing gum, it would stick to the cutting tools and build up making it very hard to get a nice finish on it, and 1050 was beautifully free-cutting. 
Bear Peterson said:

I've not spun a reso cone, not yet at least, that is another on my "I need to try that someday" list, but have spun a few other things at work as a machinist, the 6061-O soft annealed aluminum alloy sheet stock worked like a dream compared to 1050, those were the only two sheet Al the shop had, but I'd have no idea how that would affect the tone one way or another.

We used negative rake cutters on the really soft stuff.

6061-0 Eh? Gooey stuff...Check this guy out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh2yM_sRGr0

<br /><small><a href="http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/video">Find more videos like this on <em>Cigar Box Nation</em></a></small><br />

Haha, Id fogotten I made that video Jim! I had some success making and selling cones made out of sweet tin lids, but orders came quicker than I could eat the chocolate...

Anyway, two key points for spinning cones;

1. I think its better to push the cone down over a convex former rather than in to a concave former, if you can secure it safely

2. Use the correct material for the final product, but do have a few practice runs with something cheap and thin. If you can spin disposable plates, you can spin anything!

Best of luck :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service