Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Looking for advise for using start neck in my next CBG build. The scale is 25.5" and I am not sure what size (length) cigar box I would need to make the neck fit along with the bridge hardware. Anyone out there built one like this before? Need help. Thanks...

Views: 767

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oops...should have spell checked...I meant a Strat neck...not a Start neck...
I lay the neck down,make a mark where I want my neck heel to end,measure down 25 1/2" from the nut and make sure theres enough room for the bridge Im using to fit past the 25 1/2" mark. then youll know. the size depends alot on how deep you want the neck into the body. and what type of bridge your using. If u use a wrap around stoptail bridge then you dont need as much room as a tele style or wilkonson style trem.
check out jim frets vids, he goes through the whole step by step process of building a cgb using that type of neck...i think it`s the 4th or 5th vid [ down ] on that page. He offers lots of useful tips too!!
I built one a few months ago...Took some looking to find a long-enough box to accomodate the scale length. Finally got a 12" box from one of the online suppliers.
Thanks Mark...do you recall the cigar box...brand...etc. Most cigar boxes in large range seem to hover around 10-11 inches max...if I knew which brand/style I may be able to find one at local cigar shop or request similar one from online box supplier. Thanks

Mark Werner said:
I built one a few months ago...Took some looking to find a long-enough box to accomodate the scale length. Finally got a 12" box from one of the online suppliers.
Hi Scott, I have built all my "CBGs" using recycled strat necks. In the UK I have found it hard to get decent cigar boxes so I use old wooden 35mm photoslide boxes which are approx 12 " long and give you enough space to fit the neck within the box and leave enough space for the bridge.

Or if you look at my page I used one to make an 8 string guitar. I did notice on ebay one for sale where the maker had the box diagonal to increase available length http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-6-string-Cigar-Box-guitar-/320616545... and another (no longer listed) where he fitted a piece of wood via 2 battons to the lid which ran through the box poking out the neck end to form a heel for the neck to be bolted to (Again lets you get away with a smaller box). Regards, David

I like the idea of useing a Strat neck. There are many things I like about that method. One  of many things is the adjustable truss rod. I have been going around to swapmeets, thrift stores and buying broken guitars for their necks to us as patterns in my copy carver machine.

Cheers

Bob

I`ve been using alot of silverware boxes here of late. I like that they are extra large and very well constructed. The one that I used on the Hollow Neck build had a nice thin top and 1/4" thick sides. It sounds great and I`ve been buying them at my local thrift store for about 3 bucks a piece. You just have to rip out the linings inside and I left the paper intact.

Scott aka Farmer Ted said:

Thanks Mark...do you recall the cigar box...brand...etc. Most cigar boxes in large range seem to hover around 10-11 inches max...if I knew which brand/style I may be able to find one at local cigar shop or request similar one from online box supplier. Thanks

Mark Werner said:

Thanks Randy and Bob,

Silverware boxes, mmm. I was lucky enough to find guy on Ebay that has some sweet looking cigar boxes in mint condition that are in the 11 3/8 to 11 1/2 inch long range, and looks like they will work too. I did notice that when laying out the neck against the box I would have to set the neck in to the 16th fret...however, David Lloyd said another builder using bolt-on necks set a baton extending out of the cigar box to act as a heel and place for neck to bolt onto, therefore allowing more lower frets to be exposed for more range of notes for person playing this set-up.

Randy S. Bretz said:

I`ve been using alot of silverware boxes here of late. I like that they are extra large and very well constructed. The one that I used on the Hollow Neck build had a nice thin top and 1/4" thick sides. It sounds great and I`ve been buying them at my local thrift store for about 3 bucks a piece. You just have to rip out the linings inside and I left the paper intact.

Scott aka Farmer Ted said:

Mark Werner said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service