Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Gluing up a build, and it needs planing to thickness. Don't have a planer. Ideas about where I can go and have it run through a shops machine?

Also, have seen split vibratos on lap steels. Where are those available and what are they called?

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe try a search for woodworker or carpenter on Angie's List or on Google with your zip code.  Good luck!

I looked on Ebay for "split tremolo", "split vibrato", "dual tremolo", "dual vibrato" and under lap steel tremolo / vibrato.  Found nothing other than the standard setup.  Don't know what else one would search under.

If they’re operated by hand, you’re  talking about a B- bender? If they’re operated by your knee or foot then it’s a pedal steel, if that’s it then they’re called knee/foot levers? How much thickness do you plan to take off, more than a sander or a table saw?It is very easy to find a woodworker/handyman in areas just like Ted described above, Angies list is a good option for what you’re looking for? Good luck 

vvv THIS vvv Do these just affect single strings, or can it be 3 and 3?  As for the thickness, I'd say 1/16-ish each side. I could do it with my belt sander, but my skill level gives me .... less than flat sometimes.

BrianQ. said:

If they’re operated by hand, you’re  talking about a B- bender? If they’re operated by your knee or foot then it’s a pedal steel, if that’s it then they’re called knee/foot levers? How much thickness do you plan to take off, more than a sander or a table saw?It is very easy to find a woodworker/handyman in areas just like Ted described above, Angies list is a good option for what you’re looking for? Good luck 

One string at a time, but I’m sure you can use them both if you know your way around a lap steel?  B- benders are an advanced technique used to replicate pedal steel licks without the use of knee & foot levers. I have seen a regular guitar with a split tremolo, which really added nothing special other than going a out of tune? Splitting them will need some bridge modification, maybe more than it’s worth, but hey, have at it, no rules right? On woodworking skills, what you do with those mistakes, big or small, is what gives you that skill you’re talking about? Or at least, that’s what an old fella told me when I was a young pup? 

Copy that. I finally found some listed....and the price tag. Done withthat idea...

BrianQ. said:

One string at a time, but I’m sure you can use them both if you know your way around a lap steel?  B- benders are an advanced technique used to replicate pedal steel licks without the use of knee & foot levers. I have seen a regular guitar with a split tremolo, which really added nothing special other than going a out of tune? Splitting them will need some bridge modification, maybe more than it’s worth, but hey, have at it, no rules right? On woodworking skills, what you do with those mistakes, big or small, is what gives you that skill you’re talking about? Or at least, that’s what an old fella told me when I was a young pup? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service