Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Catchy huh?

Ok, this may be inspired, or it may be crazy.... Id like to know which!

Many other craftsmen have a guild or a body that identifies them as achieving a certain quality or level of customer satisfaction. It is good for us, the vendors, as it says our goods are of a certain standard, its good for the customer as they know what they are buying.

Personally I would like to be able to display a little logo on my website and a bit of small print that says Im a member of a recognized group of builders, and I think the rewards would be subtle but worthwhile. Plus the cost of doing it would be minimal, mainly just the time element.

Im not sure how membership would be determined (I feel that there should be some quality guidelines rather than just 'free entry'), Im not even sure if this is a foolish endeavour...

What do you think?

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i like the idea. but i would like there to be a set of increasingly difficult tests or quals that you could meet on your way to becoming a master builder.something someone like me with limited knowledge but a desire to improve could complete the requirements and move up in the guild like apprentice. journeyman , master,

mike

I like it.

Ummm.... I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in here... it reminds me of art with a little "a" verses Art with a big "A" and Fine Art verses, ugh!!! dare I say it? Crafts... ATCs vs. ACEOs, artisian verses hobbiest, and all the other stupid little distinctions to give people reasons to feel snubby about something.  And it kind of seems like an oxymoron to go all pro and be certified as a MASTER of something PRIMATIVE. 

I think back to the ROOTS of handmade instruments and quite frankly, this idea of creating an elitist group of primative instrument makers is like soooooo removed from the whole concept of what handmade music is all about.

Yes, there are many MASTER builders, many here... and yes, I have a long way before I reach that level, but the idea of JUDGING builders work to see who is GOOD ENOUGH to build, or rather SELL what they build (as that is what this is really about, eh?) is just sad.  Hummm.... a guild is GOOD... oh, this thing is jumping on me, hard to type so continued in next comment...

(comment, part 2)

Yes, a guild is GOOD... over the years, I have belonged to various art guilds, and so I suggest setting up a guild simular to an art guild where ANYONE who builds and wants to join may join... and then, have a MASTER LEVEL WITHIN the guild, or perhaps certain distinctions (awards or whatever) to reward accomplishments, recognition by peers, whatever.   Oh... for an example?  EBSQart is an online artist guild, so to say... with different levels of artists, award recognitions, etc.  Something like that makes more sense to me.

Old thread, new news!

Its great that folk are still reading and thinking though :o)

As it happens, CBJ and I, with help from here, there, and anywhere, are setting up a UK based site taht may in the future incorporate a few of these ideas. 

Mainly its an awareness / fundraising machine, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Should be up and running in january, so Il post all the details when we are airbourne.

Rest assured though, it is NOT another forum, and it is not intended nor will it infringe on what goes on here. There will be no forum, no chat etc, its just business.

What it will do though is really push what we can do with the CBG here in Britain.

Hell, who knows.

The brits might get out there and do a US tour!! ;o)

Oops! Sorry, I didn't look for date stamps in the wee hours of the morn before speaking my mind.  And I know it is a business thing so perhaps I'm injecting my thumb-your-nose at the so-called art world crap from a prospective of art is art without adjectives of good, bad, or whatever... let the observor decide, the buyer to make those determinations.  Any promotion of cbgs is a very good thing.

Roosterman said:

Old thread, new news!

Its great that folk are still reading and thinking though :o)

As it happens, CBJ and I, with help from here, there, and anywhere, are setting up a UK based site taht may in the future incorporate a few of these ideas. 

Mainly its an awareness / fundraising machine, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Should be up and running in january, so Il post all the details when we are airbourne.

Rest assured though, it is NOT another forum, and it is not intended nor will it infringe on what goes on here. There will be no forum, no chat etc, its just business.

What it will do though is really push what we can do with the CBG here in Britain.

Hell, who knows.

The brits might get out there and do a US tour!! ;o)

Not to rain on anyone else's parade, but I agree with Jim and Nancy. On this site, there are all levels of builders, and musicians. To exclude anyone, especially on the basis of "quality" of builds, seems a little silly. If people feel the need to have a moniker of "Master" or "Sir" , I say just add that to the front of your name and let your prospective customers decide whether it's appropriate or deserved. I tend to like all the builds on this site for different reasons, some just for the effort that was put in them, some for their magnificent construction. After all, I have seen "basic" builders on this site that might have more fun and get more enjoyment out of playing and building than some of the better craftsmen, because they do it simply for the sense of accomplishment not for someone else's approval. I build for me, first, and if others enjoy what I do, that's a bonus and thanks a lot. The main reason I'm even here is to share what I can with people who are willing to share with me. (Check Ted's "Mission Statement") I'll probably never be a "Master" anything, but I build and play to the best of my ability and go to bed with a smile on my face every nite, anyway.  Hell, I'm just happy to be here. That's about 2 cents worth so I'm done.

i was kind of thinking of showing that youh ave reached a minimun level of ability in an area rather than that you have become a master of the cigarbox, i don't sell anything and don't really intend to i build for the fun of it. it would be fun to be able to show that i had reached a level in piezo pickup building and installation not that i was a some kind of superstar in the navy we called it pqs personal qualification standards . what about that rather than the master craftsman stuff?

A bit like Robert Fripp's "League of Crafty Guitarists", don't you think? I love the idea, personally. I was toying with the idea of "The League of Crafty CBGs" myself, maybe as a collaborative cd effort. GOPIC is catchy. (Oh well, enough of my pontification!...LOL!!!)
Sounds like a good idea, Rooster! Keep me posted

the last thing i'll say is i think it shows a healthy club or group when we can voice our views and still get along ." agree to dis agree "as they say. if i can help rooster let me know.

mike

got to be running.

Diamondback Guitar Shop said:

Sounds like a good idea, Rooster! Keep me posted

All valid points! :o)

Since I voiced this idea I too have had several changes of heart, but like I said, we are forging ahead with a different idea that may in the future have some of the elements discussed here.

Maybe if it all works out, we can launch something more global along the lines of what youve all said here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service