Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Upcoming Book: 'The Cigar Box Guitar Book'. Help Me Write my Book.

Hi, I'm David Sutton and I'm writing a book which is tentatively titled "The Art of the Cigar Box Guitar" for Fox Chapel Publishing. Fox Chapel publishes books about woodworking primarily but they're branching out a bit.
I'm looking for short (1 sentence to two paragraphs?) comments from clubhouse builders on the subject of what building and/or playing cigar box guitars means to you, what has it brought to your life and why you do it?
Be advised that I intend to publish some of these comments, so whatever you write could end up published. If you post here you are implying permission for me to use the quotes.
You may choose to identify yourself by name or by initials, just let me know what your preference would be.
If you have any questions let me know, and if you'd like a couple of solid references talk to Ted Crocker or to Diane in Chicago. Please tell your friends if you think they might have something to say.
Thanks!

Views: 943

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha! Thanks, Shane.

Shane Hopkins said:
The building of Cigar Box Guitars will turn a hardcore germaphobe into an all out dumpster divin' fool in about 3 days. It's the nature of the beast.

Me: "Hello, my name is Shane and I build Cigar Box Guitars."
Group: "Hi Shane, welcome to the meeting, were here to help you."

Join the CBG revolution!

Shane Hopkins
Clearwater Florida
www.sugarboxguitars.com
Howdy David, hope this is what you're after!

The first time I saw a cigar box guitar was near the end of July in 2008. I was flipping through that year's guitar buyer's guide and there was a section for Daddy Mojo guitars. I don't know how long I stared at the page wondering who came up with this. After searching around for days I found The Daddy Mojo site and that got me started. The excitement from seeing Lenny's work made me want to build one (or...ten!) and I somehow found Scotty's guitar page, which led me to Shane Speal who started Cigar Box Nation, which led to the Clubhouse.

I build these guitars simply because I can't stop! I love the feeling of making something that can make music and that it's something not everybody's ever seen. Anybody can point out an acoustic or electric guitar and tell you days worth of information about it, but when I walk into a room with a CBG you can almost hear the heads turning ha ha, it's really something to see. And that's something else I get from CBGs, the opportunity to meet some great people. Ted Crocker and Randy Bretz to name a couple but I also ran into Lenny Robert, the foreman for Daddy Mojo guitars, and honestly I didn't think he'd give me the time of day, but man was I wrong! When I first got started on the Nation he was thrilled to talk to me about the guitars and I think that's what made me stay with it: knowing that the better known of us will still take the time to help a beginner and you just don't see that much anymore. But it's not about the name, it's about the love of the instruments and of the music, and that's something the companies have lost along the way.

-A.J. Hancock
Diamondback Guitars

Hi David, I would feel honoured to be included if you have room, though I am not even close to the standard of most of the builders here! My name is Julian Perry from Littlehampton on the South Coast of Britain and I stumbled on Cigar Box guitar websites by accident nearly a year ago after buying some empty boxes to keep art equipment in. I was immediately immersed in the history and simplicity of these fascinating instruments. Having always been a folk 'n' blues fan, and a bit arty-crafty, I thought 'I can do that...I think!' So I did, and to my amazement my first one worked and not only that, it sounded great! Up until then I thought there was some 'magic' involved in instrument making and that it would be beyond me, but now I just wish I had time to make even more! The look on people's faces when they hear these kinds of sounds produced by a simple cigar box is priceless. I've learned more about music from building CBG's and the brilliant members of 'Handmade music Clubhouse' and 'Cigar Box Nation' than I ever did at School or even in my guitar lessons as a kid, both of which I grew disillusioned with pretty quickly. I feel CBG building should be taught in schools. It incorporates art, craft, design, history, maths, woodwork, metalwork and music. What other skills does a person need in life?!!

Beautifully said, Julilan. Thank you. david
Julian Perry said:

Hi David, I would feel honoured to be included if you have room, though I am not even close to the standard of most of the builders here! My name is Julian Perry from Littlehampton on the South Coast of Britain and I stumbled on Cigar Box guitar websites by accident nearly a year ago after buying some empty boxes to keep art equipment in. I was immediately immersed in the history and simplicity of these fascinating instruments. Having always been a folk 'n' blues fan, and a bit arty-crafty, I thought 'I can do that...I think!' So I did, and to my amazement my first one worked and not only that, it sounded great! Up until then I thought there was some 'magic' involved in instrument making and that it would be beyond me, but now I just wish I had time to make even more! The look on people's faces when they hear these kinds of sounds produced by a simple cigar box is priceless. I've learned more about music from building CBG's and the brilliant members of 'Handmade music Clubhouse' and 'Cigar Box Nation' than I ever did at School or even in my guitar lessons as a kid, both of which I grew disillusioned with pretty quickly. I feel CBG building should be taught in schools. It incorporates art, craft, design, history, maths, woodwork, metalwork and music. What other skills does a person need in life?!!

Hi David, I am so very excited about your upcoming book. I will be at the first annual Handmade Muisc Clubhouse Fest scheduled for Sept. 3 - 5. It is all very exciting and special for me since I am new at building cigar box guitars and other instruments, and a woman in a predominantly man-filled craft!!!. Hope to meet you very, very soon.
David, thought you might enjoy seeing the banjo I created. It was the winning entry in the Clubhouse Kitchen Build contest. I will have it at the music fest, so come and see it in person!!!!!

Hey David, make a note to bring a lot of extra rolls of film, video cassettes and pencils/paper.

Be prepared to start a new folder called 'The Art & Craft of Handmade Music

...and bring an appetite...
David, That banjo JoJo created took first place in a challenge here to use something from your kitchen in a build. Jo used a jello mold
Check all the insane entries here.

Find more videos like this on Handmade Music Clubhouse T W A N G
Hey David, First of all, best of luck with the book - I dont envy you having to fit all you see and hear here into just a few hundred pages!! My name is Ben Moor and I am one of a growing number of British based builders. Probably the most northern actaully, being based in the Scottish Highlands. Often its so cold and wet here that my stuff either freezes to the bench or requires floats..... I got into building CBGs about 2 years ago, though I was already messing about with 'normal' guitars long before that. I knew the minute I saw one that I wanted one. I bought one, took it apart to see what magic was inside it (turns out nothing - its just a box and some strings!), and set about building my own. Since then Iv become a true addict. Why? Simple. Accessibility.
Everyone can build a simple instrument, or play a simple tune, when there are no rules or boundries. There is no right or wrong, just enjoyment. Which is very refreshing when the 6 string world is so full of b******t (can I say b******t??) about having to have the
right guitar, made in the
right factory, using the
right wood.... Add to that a busy online community that is always there to impart words of wisdom, or to barely raise a communal eye-brow at your latest hair-brained idea, and there is only one outcome.... I now have nearly 100 builds under my belt, from CBGs to diddly bows, custom amps to drum machines, I have a website and send my creations all over the world, and most importantly, I have an outlet for all those weird ideas I have in the middle of the night! I am not a proffessional luthier by the way. I have basic skills, basic tools, and a few ideas. I dont play so good either. But I think I, and the many like me, have struck a chord (no pun intended!) with the musical youth. Music should be fun and available to all.... and stuff the big name money machines! A customer of mine summed it up nicely in a recent email; "I will be selling my Gibson Les Paul this weekend to make room for a Randy Roosters" Proud? You betcha! All the best with the book, Roosterman PS feel free to use anything you can from my website
www.randyroosterscigarboxguitars.com, or from my pages here.

HEY

Let's hear from you, I'm sure the Clubhouse has lots more stories and amazing pics...
Lovely bit, thanks Craig.

david

Craig McLendon said:
Having played in Texas southern rock/metal bands most of my life, the time came for change. I arrived at a point in my life where I was just burned out on the music biz, coupled with the need to get back to my early blues influences again.
While doing some internet research on slide guitar, I came across the "CBG" movement, then remembered some of the old timers in my family playing what they called "box guitars"... from that day on I was hooked. The history behind these instruments is amazing, building a "CBG" or other handmade instrument is truly rewarding, and 99.9% of the people I have come into contact within the "CBG" world are the most influential, gracious and helpful folks I know.
"Gip's Place" is an authentic juke joint in Alabama that's been rocking every Sat. for 50 years and in the years I've been going, I've seen Burnsides, Kings, and other legends. I've even had the opportunity to play with a few. But of all the experiences there, the first time I was there had the most impact on me as a player and an artist.

I've known "Sweet Lenny Madden" for years, but he started the night off playing some stompin' hill country blues on a contraption I'd never seen before. It was a cigar box that had 2 broom handles sticking out of it, a bass string, and 3 guitar strings. Sam Lay from Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, and Bob Dylan fame was the headline act that night. He put on an amazing show and is every bit as talented singing and playing guitar as he is a drummer..... but all I could think about was that cigar box guitar. It infected me. I couldn't even wait to order parts. I went home and stripped a perfectly serviceable guitar from my collection down for parts, collected scrap wood from around the house, and made my first instrument. I've had the privilege to play a lot of fine instruments over the years, but NOTHING beats playing something I crafted from scratch.

Randy Webb
(pictures from that night are below, click to enlarge)
Lenny On Stage

A shot I took another time.

This is "Gips Place" before the crowd shows up

Lenny from that night again

Me with Sam Lay

Sam on Stage

My dance partner that night lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service