Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Vintage Silvertone guitar and amp/case at Garage Sale...What's it worth?

Just picked this up as a garage sale.  Model 1448 guitar and amp case... guitar almost virgin with just a few stains.  Case has a couple of nicks, a cigarette burn and a hinge to be repaired.  Amp powers up, but just hums.....

So, what's it work and is it worth taking to someone to fix the amp?  Oh, btw, I get it for $ 15.

Views: 530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW Sam, what a steal.  I have no idea what it's worth, but I'd definitely fix the amp.

Ted, thanks, I fired up the guitar last night, running it through a vintage (St. Louis) 70's Crate (three tube) amp.  It sounded sweet, like butter.  It is seriously the one of the best sounding guitars that I have ever owned....  I see why some many pro's have used this git.

I have a 1964 Silverstone Jaguar it's an amazing sounding guitar. I wish I had the case like yours. I have saw them go go 150 to 650 on eBay. Google silver tone or 60's guitars there are a couple cool sites out there showing them off.

Not worth much... it only cost $67.95 in the 1962 Sears Catalog brand new, I'll give you your $15 investment, add something for handling and pay for shipping.....

Attachments:

Seriously, 

That's a pretty collectable combo.  I know some people hate eBay, but it is a good place to get an idea of what the (bidding) public will pay for something.  I was curious, so looked up your combo under Completed Listings (since new listings are somewhere between lowballs to get bidding going and pipe-dreams).  Some examples sold for:  $335, $460, $500, $536, and $695 - maybe because it was a sunburst, some pipe-dreams were: $650, $795, and $1200.

But like Ted said, if you plan on selling it - you'll want to see if you can find an old guy in your town that used to work on tube radios and TVs.  I know a guy in Casper....

Good luck, cool find!

Guido,

Thanks, those are the numbers I'm seeing... It will be all checked out by a tech that works on old stuff all the time.  I wish I could keep it, but retired to a house 1/2 the size I'm used to.  I'll probably post it starting @ $400 and see where it goes... Hopefully a couple collectors get busy and it gets a good home...

the best,

Wichita Sam

Best of Luck, Sam

I actually refinished one of those in high school ('73, maybe '74) for a friend.  I was amazed when I took the vinyl strip off the edge and stripped the paint.  It was semi-hollow (ad says "solid center body") with a pine frame (not sure what the center block is, I didn't go that deep) and the top and bottom were Homasote Fiberboard!  But like you said, plugged into a tube amp... it's got mojo!!!  Put a good reserve on it, and if you try to sell it soon, remember - Summer just started... don't be discouraged, people are more interested in cook-outs and vacation... you might get an extra $100 if you can wait till November (leading up to Christmas shopping).  Hope this info helps you!

Guido

Guido, excellent information and thoughts.  I'll probably test the market soon, might try a silvertone/danelectro speciality site first.  I read somewhere that the center block was poplar.... wish I could keep it, but just can't...

anyway, thanks,

the best,

Wichita Sam

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service