Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

i made a washer bobbin with a button mag in the middle, then a small button rare earth magnet on top it is about an inch and half wide.  covered the sides with black tape for now to protect the wire.  i am looking for any info or input i can get on making these, i am making another one or two for the same guitar and will wire them in series, any help is greatly appreciated. 

ok i have taken some of the suggestions and have changed this pup to have a washer on the bottom a plastic poker chip on top and a single button magnet in the middle, the sound is better i will put a sound clip out soon.  in my replies to everyone i have said i want to wire 2 in series thinking that in series will make the 2 pups count as 1 with more winds.  so my next question is does that theory hold water?

Views: 623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like you have it all worked out already. If you flip over every other one and reverse the leads, you will get a humbucking effect.

I'm not sure why you're adding another magnet on top, (except for more power?). The one in the middle should be sufficient. You can experiment with having an extra magnet or not, to see which you like better.

They should measure about 1k ohms or as close to that as you can get.

ps. the steel will become part of the magnetic field. There are pickup designs with steel on the bottom to reflect the magnetic field back up, but not with steel on top as it blocks the field. You can experiment with different non-ferrous materials for the top to see if it makes any difference. Non-ferrous means a magnet doesn't stick to it - so wood, plastic, aluminum, etc.

* actually don't reverse the wires, flipping it over after u wind it does that for u, like a clock would appear to run anti clockwise from behind

I believe the hookup wires have to be reversed.  One of the principles of why they are hum canceling is the direction of the flow of current is counter to each other.  With the wires reversed, the direction of current in one is from the middle of the coil out, and the other travels inward.  Also, most pickups are designed to be only one direction facing up.

Cool pup Bill, have any sound clips?

Sometimes it's enough to make your head explode!

Check out the excellent book Making A Bigger Sound by Bart Hopkin. He has a design very similar to yours.

ok Skeesix i took your advice and made another one with a plastic poker chip on top and left the steel washer on the bottom the sound was better and a little dirtier, also removed the top magnet and left just one button magnet in the middle.  i haven't made a second yet this way but i wonder if connected in series would that count as more winds, and give it a bigger sound yet

Skeesix said:

It soundsur like you have it all worked out already. If you flip over every other one and reverse the leads, you will get a humbucking effect.

I'm not sure why you're adding another magnet on top, (except for more power?). The one in the middle should be sufficient. You can experiment with having an extra magnet or not, to see which you like better.

They should measure about 1k ohms or as close to that as you can get.

ps. the steel will become part of the magnetic field. There are pickup designs with steel on the bottom to reflect the magnetic field back up, but not with steel on top as it blocks the field. You can experiment with different non-ferrous materials for the top to see if it makes any difference. Non-ferrous means a magnet doesn't stick to it - so wood, plastic, aluminum, etc.

Thanks Ted, i think what i might do with this pup now is wire them in series as i replied to skeesix, now let me ask you i know i have before and have forgotten, but if i wire them in series wouldn't that count as more winds, therefore a fatter sound.

Ted Crocker said:

I believe the hookup wires have to be reversed.  One of the principles of why they are hum canceling is the direction of the flow of current is counter to each other.  With the wires reversed, the direction of current in one is from the middle of the coil out, and the other travels inward.  Also, most pickups are designed to be only one direction facing up.

ps no sound clip yet one coming though...

Bill said:

Thanks Ted, i think what i might do with this pup now is wire them in series as i replied to skeesix, now let me ask you i know i have before and have forgotten, but if i wire them in series wouldn't that count as more winds, therefore a fatter sound.

Ted Crocker said:

sounds simple enough not to have thought of that, it makes perfect sense... but i think i would like to try and wire them in series, i do believe in series will count as more winds as apposed to another pup with same winds, is that true by the way "in series" would give more winds acting as one pickup?

The Phrygian Kid said:

* actually don't reverse the wires, flipping it over after u wind it does that for u, like a clock would appear to run anti clockwise from behind

Wiring in series will add their values - more output!

excellent Ted i was hoping you would see that post, i guess i could take me ole multimeter and the value should be double, is that correct?

Wiring two in series will give you a fatter chunkier and more powerful sound yes. Thinner a regular humbucker that's how the coils are wired. On a fender when you use one of the 'in between' sounds with two pickups they are in parallel. Theres a weird effect whn you combine coils jn parallel, the less powerful one steals inductance from the more powerful one and somehow dominates the sound. I like a switch so I can have both. You know those tapped 4 wire humbuckers that ppl like to switch one cool off? Well Id prefer a series / parallel switch

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service