Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I'm Jim/James. Call me what you like, just don't call me late for dinner. BTW, the avatar is me, it's just 47 years ago off the coast of Vietnam. I'm scruffy because I was a snipe.

Thanks for the membership.I feel confident in saying I'm a rather unique individual in the CBG community. I do not play guitar.. Nor piano. Nor cello (tried those last 2 in jr high). I do noodle a bit on a dulcimer and diatonic strumstick, though it's not really 'playing'.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on with building. As stated, I do not play. I look at my builds and think ''what am I gonna do with these things?" I think it's sorta like folk art...

So far I have done 3 builds and have at least 2 more planned. Those are:
#!  A very basic 2x4 lap steel from Shane Spiels plan.
#2 Ditto, except more refined, an actual body and an attempt at higher construction values.
#3 A 2x4 two string bass from a 60's magazine plan (from Cigarboxnation).
#4 In progress. a 40 inch, 29.5 inch scale Baritone. I'm looking for big crunch.

#5 Ditto, but inspired by the Industrial lap steels of Chris Fouke (check out his work). His are aluminum, mine should be a hybrid, using aluminum rails and wood top/bottom. I have some very hard, dense, heavy old shelves that have been around for over 50 years.

Pix of things:

The carpet is dirty because I keep tracking wood chips into the house...

Views: 43

Replies to This Discussion

WOW James, they are some really nice looking builds.  Add them to the slide show on the front page.  

Check out this lesson

Thanks, Ted. The camera hides many flaws. As far as these builds go, I consider myself a 'talented hack'. These are nowhere near factory quality, but on the other hand, I think they are probably better quality than 90-95% of the gen pop could do...

Ted Crocker said:

WOW James, they are some really nice looking builds.  Add them to the slide show on the front page.  

Check out this lesson

Beautiful work Jim. Thank you for serving.

Thanks. I said elsewhere that I consider myself a talented hack. Your service comment is appreciated.

Chuck Bouwens said:

Beautiful work Jim. Thank you for serving.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service