Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I've been building and offering advice for over a dozen years, and doing it full time for 10.  I've built and sold many many hundreds of instruments, thousands of pickups and countless custom projects like mics, amps, stompers & tons of other weird creations.

I've done this under the name Ted Crocker: Guitars & Gear.  I've become a low level public figure, and every day I enjoy helping folks at the Clubhouse, the Nation, Facebook and privately.  I love it, it's my therapy...

I took a break from building the past 6 months, and now I'm about to move to a great new space early June (Florida shop 3).  I plan to get back into building, but I want to concentrate on higher end CBGs & instruments, instead of the cheap, simple 2 hour ones to generate quick cash.  I'll still keep an inventory of my various types of pickups - they sell well and provide steady income.

I want to rebrand myself and remove my name from the masthead.  I've narrowed it down to 2 names - Honey Dripper Guitars & Gear or Rusty Nail Guitars & Gear.  What do you think?  I have a personal connection with each.  Any other suggestions?

I want to start from scratch with a completely new website to replace TedCrocker.com.  I want pages to showcase builds I've made, present videos of some of the high profile ones being played, provide some info & my history in the growth of CBGs & homemade instruments and of course I want a storefront. I want it known that I'm always around to answer questions and provide support.  Of course I want a kickass home page with lots of visuals of what I have done/can do - that's easy to navigate to the other sections.

I need to come up with a new logo and tagline.  I need to integrate a proper store/shopping cart.  Does anyone know of store/shopping cart software I can easily integrate while not directing folks to a different site?  Free or cheap is great, but I can budget for something right.

I don't want to completely remove my name from my creations, I just want to present them differently.  

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas??  I'm willing to pay a web designer to build the new site - front and back end.  Maybe even a trade for an insane Crocker instrument - oops, a Honey Dripper or Rusty Nail instrument.  Every time I attempt to start from scratch I encounter a brick wall and can't decide on a look or direction.

Any ideas for the look (and guts) of my new site?

HELP!!!!!

Ted

856 404 0411

Views: 602

Replies to This Discussion

The "Crocker Guitars" suggestion has a great deal of merit and is backed up with solid reasoning. I think you should give it serious consideration.
Years ago "Datsun" was a howling success in the car and light truck market. They decided to drop that name and rebrand themselves as Nissan. It took them two decades to crawl out of the hole that decision put them in, and they still haven't fully recovered.
Your name - Ted Crocker - has a well deserved good reputation and good name recognition among your intended customer base. I think it would be a mistake to throw that away.

Yeah, that's true!...I dint think of it that way!...don't start over....keep what you have going for you!...Ted Crocker....is well established!

Jeff McFadden said:

The "Crocker Guitars" suggestion has a great deal of merit and is backed up with solid reasoning. I think you should give it serious consideration.
Years ago "Datsun" was a howling success in the car and light truck market. They decided to drop that name and rebrand themselves as Nissan. It took them two decades to crawl out of the hole that decision put them in, and they still haven't fully recovered.
Your name - Ted Crocker - has a well deserved good reputation and good name recognition among your intended customer base. I think it would be a mistake to throw that away.

I kind of like T. Crocker Guitars.

Similar to C.F. Martin or B.C. Rich

Ted,

Whats your middle initial? 

T Crocker Guitars is the best name you can use a lot of folks are famlar with it you do not have to start all over with a new brand :) that is a winner

hi Ted , whatever  you choose bro',  Ted still Ted for me ;),,  but Honey Dripper it's cool,,  good luck my friend,, 

"IF" you have to go away from Ted Crocker to one of the names you offered, I prefer "Rusty Nail"...., but, I watched a youtube about 2 years ago where a British customer of yours kept saying he had a "T.C.Rocker" pickup.   I really thought it was a cool rebranding where you could keep your name that has considerable cache, but emphasize a more rad musical attitude.

no matter what, make sure that "Ted Crocker" is in the masthead, no less than 2/3 font size of the headline.  People will want to buy from you, just because it's you.

Ted,

I don't sell too many CBGs just to friends & word of mouth. But before I retired I spent 25 yrs in sales & marketing including 6 yrs at the VP level. I say this not to brag, but to give cred to my advice.

You been selling CBG's under your name for 12 yrs and have built a hard earned reputation. So with this in mind BEWARE!, rebranding carries a lot of risks.

The first thing to ask yourself is why? If you want to go after the high end market wouldn't it be easier to build on your reputation rather than create a new brand?

Second rebranding costs money and even then there's no guarantee that you'll be successful. Remember the new Coke? Better to spend money on marketing and expanding on your name.

Thirdly it takes time again with no promise of success.

Fourth is energy. It might be better to expend the time, money and energy introducing new products under your well recognizable name. Then trying to create a whole new brand.

In my experience rebranding rarely works.

Anyway food for thought. Good luck in all you do.

i agree, 'Ted Crocker' should be the name. I think you might be trying to be a little too 'humble'. It is what got you here.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service