Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

There are many ways to maintain a website for your business.

Views: 478

Replies to This Discussion

key words rule that's for sure. 

now that i have my webpage, is there a place that i can display my webpage link on my profile page here?

Forgive me for jumping in on this.

I have been building websites for many years, of all types from e-commerce sites to simple blogs.

I would always recommend that you organise your own hosting and host your own site. 

If you use a service that lets you put out your site as www.guitarstore.com\theirhostsite etc.etc.  then your business is in effect in the hands of folks that really dont care about you or your business, just the monthly cash they can get from you.  If they decide for whatever reason to close your site, they can do so, and all of a sudden you have no site.. all your work is down the drain...gone.

Its the same with facebook, squidoo etc.  its not your site, if its on their servers and they are letting you use their services.

You can get hosting for a site or two for $1 a month or so, and a good fully working wordpress site would not cost you a lot, less than $100.  The domain name would cost you about $10 a year to register and keep.  If its your domain you will always have the name.  I pay around $7 a month for hosting for 16 web sites, and look after them myself.  Its very simple and anyone can do it.

There are lots of folk that can do you a good wordpress site for very little money, and no monthly payments if you dont want them to look after it for you.  If you want to be put in touch with someone that will build you a good site and not rip you off,  let me know, and i'll give you some contact details. And no it wont benefit me in any way in case you are a bit dubious.

If anyone wants a hand getting their own web site name sorted out, but isnt sure how to do it, let me know and i will help you sort it at no cost apart from the normal registration costs on somewhere like Namecheap web registrars, and as i said that would cost you about $10 a year for your own domain name.

cheers

Keith

I agree 100% with Keith about this!  Thank ya for lettin' the folks know that it ain't all that tough to have their own website and to git-er-dun quite inexpensively.

While I got ya on here, pardner, I'd like to say thank ya for pickin' up my GittyMan CBG Makin' Manual.  Like yours, many of my orders come from the UK.  Ya'll are quite active over there makin' these geetars.

I hope I dun ya well with that book....

mordacai



Keith Evans said:

Forgive me for jumping in on this.

I have been building websites for many years, of all types from e-commerce sites to simple blogs.

I would always recommend that you organise your own hosting and host your own site. 

If you use a service that lets you put out your site as www.guitarstore.com\theirhostsite etc.etc.  then your business is in effect in the hands of folks that really dont care about you or your business, just the monthly cash they can get from you.  If they decide for whatever reason to close your site, they can do so, and all of a sudden you have no site.. all your work is down the drain...gone.

Its the same with facebook, squidoo etc.  its not your site, if its on their servers and they are letting you use their services.

You can get hosting for a site or two for $1 a month or so, and a good fully working wordpress site would not cost you a lot, less than $100.  The domain name would cost you about $10 a year to register and keep.  If its your domain you will always have the name.  I pay around $7 a month for hosting for 16 web sites, and look after them myself.  Its very simple and anyone can do it.

There are lots of folk that can do you a good wordpress site for very little money, and no monthly payments if you dont want them to look after it for you.  If you want to be put in touch with someone that will build you a good site and not rip you off,  let me know, and i'll give you some contact details. And no it wont benefit me in any way in case you are a bit dubious.

If anyone wants a hand getting their own web site name sorted out, but isnt sure how to do it, let me know and i will help you sort it at no cost apart from the normal registration costs on somewhere like Namecheap web registrars, and as i said that would cost you about $10 a year for your own domain name.

cheers

Keith

Interesting book Mordacai, its obvious that you put a lot into it, and it is excellent mate.
Oh and thank you for the ongoing information also..well done.

Damn thing can't be that bad.  Cost me fo'teen bucks just to look at it.  


Mordacai Bondurant said:

Howdy y'all....and thank ya TED for settin' all this up.

 

When it comes to web sites, I ain't the sharpest-knife-in-the-drawer so I will be all ears to learn more from some of u'ins.

What has worked for me, however, is to have music on my web site.

Take a peek to see what I mean = www.GittyMan.com

 

I'd appreciate hearing back from y'all what ya think about my song choices.

 

mordacai

To add to and slightly modify what Keith said, Wordpress may not be the ideal platform.  Using all the rest of his ideas exactly as presented, you can go with a Content Management System such as Joomla, also free, and get a little "webbier" looking website, as averse to a "bloggy" looking Wordpress website.  Joomla also has thousands (no, really.  Thousands) of extensions, some free and some not, to give it this or that extra ability depending on what you want.  Lots of stuff for web merchants, which I'm not.

You can look at a couple of mine at The Kansas City Sail and Power Squadron and Humane Society of Ray County.  These are both organizations that my wife and I volunteer with, so I'm not making a nickel out of these sites.  Keith is right, people:  This ain't rocket science, and it's not that expensive, either.  

The learning curve is considerably steeper with Joomla, and it has different strengths and weaknesses than Wordpress, so it's worth looking at both.


Mordacai Bondurant said:

I agree 100% with Keith about this!  Thank ya for lettin' the folks know that it ain't all that tough to have their own website and to git-er-dun quite inexpensively.

While I got ya on here, pardner, I'd like to say thank ya for pickin' up my GittyMan CBG Makin' Manual.  Like yours, many of my orders come from the UK.  Ya'll are quite active over there makin' these geetars.

I hope I dun ya well with that book....

mordacai



Keith Evans said:

Forgive me for jumping in on this.

I have been building websites for many years, of all types from e-commerce sites to simple blogs.

I would always recommend that you organise your own hosting and host your own site. 

If you use a service that lets you put out your site as www.guitarstore.com\theirhostsite etc.etc.  then your business is in effect in the hands of folks that really dont care about you or your business, just the monthly cash they can get from you.  If they decide for whatever reason to close your site, they can do so, and all of a sudden you have no site.. all your work is down the drain...gone.

Its the same with facebook, squidoo etc.  its not your site, if its on their servers and they are letting you use their services.

You can get hosting for a site or two for $1 a month or so, and a good fully working wordpress site would not cost you a lot, less than $100.  The domain name would cost you about $10 a year to register and keep.  If its your domain you will always have the name.  I pay around $7 a month for hosting for 16 web sites, and look after them myself.  Its very simple and anyone can do it.

There are lots of folk that can do you a good wordpress site for very little money, and no monthly payments if you dont want them to look after it for you.  If you want to be put in touch with someone that will build you a good site and not rip you off,  let me know, and i'll give you some contact details. And no it wont benefit me in any way in case you are a bit dubious.

If anyone wants a hand getting their own web site name sorted out, but isnt sure how to do it, let me know and i will help you sort it at no cost apart from the normal registration costs on somewhere like Namecheap web registrars, and as i said that would cost you about $10 a year for your own domain name.

cheers

Keith

I think I need a legit shopping cart for my site.  I've been trying to code a store by myself and I think I need a commercial solution.  I have a dozen or so products that will be there all the time, plus individual instruments that will always change. I'd love to be able to have sections as part of overall search.  Templates for each product page.  Automatic everything.  Maybe voice activated… :)

Any thoughts??

Are you speaking of services added to this current site, handmademusicclubhouse.com?

No Jeff, I'm doing a top to bottom remake of TedCrocker.com.  I want a store there and it's too much work to start from scratch.



Ted Crocker said:

No Jeff, I'm doing a top to bottom remake of TedCrocker.com.  I want a store there and it's too much work to start from scratch.

Allow me to once again suggest that you build your site on a Joomla foundation. You can get full, high-powered shopping cart extensions to it, and once you've waded through the admittedly steep learning curve it's easy to create and maintain a professional looking site.
Speaking just personally, I tend to blow off sites that don't offer a shopping cart, based on the expectation that, lacking a cart, it will just be too much hassle to try to do business there.

I'd +1 the CMS option. Joomla is very popular, I've used Drupal for many years, there's a learning curve but it's a very powerful system. It integrates easily with Ubercart, a great option for an online store. It doesn't always go so well with cheap shared hosting however, security can be an issue with a shared host as well. It's worth checking before you sign up for anything. Remember you always get what you pay for and if you want to sell your wares I think it's worth investing in something you know will work.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service