Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Rating:
  • Currently 5/5 stars.

Views: 121

You need to be a member of Handmade Music Clubhouse to add comments!

Join Handmade Music Clubhouse

Comment by The Phrygian Kid on February 18, 2012 at 3:50am

yep probly.  anyhow it works for me :)

Comment by Skeesix on February 16, 2012 at 4:46pm

I think the power of the hard drive magnets is what is making your pickups work. Those are powerful/large neodymiums. That would also account for the clear tone, along with the low number of winds.

Comment by The Phrygian Kid on February 16, 2012 at 4:32pm

hi, thanks.  i covered em cos i used magnets from a dead hardrive, which are an odd shape.  the cover snaps right on there and becomes part of the pickup.  i fill it with hot glue to hopefully minimise microphonics, effectively potting the whole thing.  the coil had already been potted with super glue cos i like the way that seeps right into the coil.  these ones came out really bright, i think its like a telecaster which is even more telecaster than most telecasters if you get my drift.  i'll try and do a video soon.  The covers appear (to me) to spread and even out the magnetic field, which works well for me cos of the magnets weird shape.  next time i make one i'll take some pics of the inside.  they have about 2500 winds and only measure about 1.2k or something but they sound great, not thin at all.  my only problem is im still searching for an effective tone control, all the regular guitar caps ive found do not seem to have much effect at all and its not cos im frying the caps they still work fine for other pickups.   Thanks for your input i really appreciate your learned wisdoms :)

Comment by Skeesix on February 16, 2012 at 3:36pm

All the production pickups I've seen have non-ferrous (doesn't contain iron) tops or covers, and all the pickup making info you read says to use non-ferrous covers. Things like fiberboard, nickel silver, plastic, etc. There are a few production pickups with steel bottoms. The bottom becomes part of the magnetic field and makes the magnetic field wider, making the pickup sound fuller. The steel bottom is also supposed to reflect the magnetic field upward.

I was under the impression that a ferrous top would block the pickup being able to pick up the strings' vibrations from the top side.  But your pickups seem to prove the opposite.

Is there any difference in the pickup's sound with the cover on or cover off?

Comment by The Phrygian Kid on February 15, 2012 at 3:59pm

Hey thanks skee6..
they are steel i'd say for sure.  the magnet snaps straight onto em.  I really like these pickups, I really liked my last lot too, but these are better again, really bright and clear and break up really nice when you crank the amp.   Ill do a video sometime.  Im interested why you say they shouldnt make a good pickup cover, I know you your stuff.  I was actually so happy with these that Im going to be doing more that way

Comment by Skeesix on February 15, 2012 at 3:43pm

Cool build. How are those cookie tin wrapped pickups working out? Are they steel or actually tin? The ones I've seen are steel which contain iron, which technically would not make a good pickup cover...

Comment by railroadDon on February 5, 2012 at 9:14pm

wow is all got to say,jef neat really neat looking guitar

Comment by Mark Lillo on February 3, 2012 at 6:13am

Nice work Jef!

Comment by Randy S. Bretz on February 2, 2012 at 9:15pm

Sweet !!!!!!! man that is one killer lookin build !!!! excellent job Jef !!!

Comment by Ted Crocker on February 2, 2012 at 9:13pm

Real primitive, I love it!