Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

How did I come so far in life and not know about this?

http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/

This makes some things clearer and some things murkier!

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...and the circle goes round and round...LOL!!! (But, REALLY, thanks for posting!) :-)
Well, I'm seeing how the major keys work, and thinking about how the minor keys work, but mixolydian and like that makes me have to lie down for a minute. I'm clear on the modes, but not the chords that go with songs in particular modes -- yet.

Somehow I think this will all become clearer as I play the mountain dulcimer more, and goof around with the kalimba-tron.
cool huh ?

:D in the next key, a perfect fifth away, only one note of the seven is different..
thats why these keys are the closest neighbours.
if we examine the key sig of C to start with, no sharps or flats..
a 5 in one direction we have G, one sharp..
in the other diection, F - one flat..
so it follows the key sig with 2 sharps, is D, with 3, A etc etc etc..
and in the other direction the flats... 2 put u in Bb, 3 in Eb etc..

the two major modes other than ionian that u know are a perfect fifth away in either direction, so only one note different in both cases from the 'do,re, mi, fa, etc ionian..

btw.. haha just to confuse you further, a perfect fifth if counted in the other direction is a fourth, or what interval guitar stirngs (mostly) are tuned to..
I always figured out the 4 and 5 chord by counting on my fingers, so I got that part down. And this makes it easier to transpose.

Here he talks about using it to compose music - scroll down:

http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/UserGuide.htm

Jef Long said:
cool huh ?

:D in the next key, a perfect fifth away, only one note of the seven is different..
thats why these keys are the closest neighbours.
if we examine the key sig of C to start with, no sharps or flats..
a 5 in one direction we have G, one sharp..
in the other diection, F - one flat..
so it follows the key sig with 2 sharps, is D, with 3, A etc etc etc..
and in the other direction the flats... 2 put u in Bb, 3 in Eb etc..

the two major modes other than ionian that u know are a perfect fifth away in either direction, so only one note different in both cases from the 'do,re, mi, fa, etc ionian..

btw.. haha just to confuse you further, a perfect fifth if counted in the other direction is a fourth, or what interval guitar stirngs (mostly) are tuned to..
Aaaahhhhhhhhhh not the circle of fifths. I really think this was the only part of music thereoy that one of my professors knew. That's all she would teach...without teaching us how to actually apply it to our own music.
Most folks just use it for transposing, I guess. But the link to the user's guide does a good job on explaining how to use it for composing. Very helpful.

Rev Mike said:
Aaaahhhhhhhhhh not the circle of fifths. I really think this was the only part of music thereoy that one of my professors knew. That's all she would teach...without teaching us how to actually apply it to our own music.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service