Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

See this and my complete line of pickups in my  eBay Store

DownUnder™  3  and 4 String Pickups for Cigar Box Guitar or Custom Instrument

Unique 'Drop-in' Design

Acclaimed luthier and pioneer of the cigar box guitar movement Ted Crocker is proud to introduce the DownUnder to his line of pickups.  The DownUnder has the same soul and tone as his Stonehenge pickup made for the Honey Dripper guitar he built for the Danny Glover film Honeydripper.

The DownUnder features a unique drop-in design and mounts to the top of your box.  The Rosewood bobbin is oversized and it hides the hole needed for mounting.  No longer will you need to have a clean hole, and you don't have to worry about creating a mount inside the box.  Installation couldn't be easier!

And of course it has that famous Ted Crocker tone.

Here's Bairfoot Cajun demonstrating one of his DownUnders

Find more videos like this on Handmade Music Clubhouse

Features:

Rosewood bobbin

AlNiCo 5 magnets

AWG 42 coil wire 

Lacquer potted

Ships with 8" of hookup wire soldered on

*** Your pickup may vary slightly in appearance

*** Pickup usually ships within 4 days

The DownUnder™ is available in 3 and 4 string versions

Custom configuration available - contact Ted Crocker @ 856 404 0411

To learn more, visit TedCrocker.com, see my interview in Modern Guitars Magazine or contact me directly @ 856 404 0411 or Ted@TedCrocker.com. 

Join the Handmade Music Revolution! Handmade Music Clubhouse 

See my other homemade instrument builder items in my  eBay Store

DownUnder 4 - $44.95

DownUnder 3 - &39.95

Views: 3217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They look great! That's how I've preferred to do mine..."dropping" in is sometimes just SO easy.
impressing craft/artwork as always Ted, let them rock! good luck!
Look great Ted, will you be shipping to the UK?.
No problem shipping to the UK Neil, I ship many there every week
What's that little hole next to the end magnet?
Great stuff Ted i will be in touch very soon.

Skeesix, the little hole is there to make them more aerodynamic, no it's a sound port to mix acoustic tone with electric, no it's an inspection hole so I can test to see if the inner coil vibrates to my satisfaction using a signal generator, no it's an air cooling hole so the pups don't overheat during hot solos - yeah, that's the ticket...

Actually it's there as an alignment indicator for me for final assembly.  I make lots of pups at a time, all hand marked and drilled.  I drill the bobbin and base together, held with double stick tape.  Because they are all hand made, basically one at a time, sometimes there are slight differences in alignment.  

The hole lets me know at a glance which side is up and ensures that the pickup is assembled the way it is drilled.  Also, if many bobbins and bases get mixed together, the hole lets me match each part to its mate.

As an added feature, folks know they are an authentic Crocker pickup and not one of the many knockoffs.

I built this Les Paul style guitar as a 4 string totally on the fact that I had a 4 pole Downunder from Ted. The sound of it is so good I ordered a 6 pole Downunder for My next build and will continue to use this line in future builds. Hear how it sounds here.

http://www.handmademusicclubhouse.com/video/handmade-les-paul-jr-style

Pardon my total idiocy. These look great and I want one, but I have only built 3 cbg's. Do you need a bridge with this and -- if so -- where do you place it? I apologize for what is probably a stupid question. But I am here to learn. :).

Jim Kasmir said:
Pardon my total idiocy. These look great and I want one, but I have only built 3 cbg's. Do you need a bridge with this and -- if so -- where do you place it? I apologize for what is probably a stupid question. But I am here to learn. :).
You're not an idiot. The Downunder is the pickup and it'll lay along the body perhsps a 1/4 in high. Ted makes a bridge with a piezo pick up in it called the Panama Red ( see right after tail piece in pic of my guitar on a cbg the strings running over that brass with a neck that comes flush to top of box the string hieght should be spot on. With my LP build the amount the neck stood above body necessitated the rise I put underneath the Panama Red bridge/pickup. Both the DU & PR sound super and even better when wired together. I asked Ted to wire up a harness with 2 vol/tone and toggle for positioning either pup or both to a jack and it worked great & was simple to install as I can't solder worth a crap. Can't wait to see how Yr build turns out. Have fun with it and post pics

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service