Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Howdy All

I'm getting ready for my next build, a CB Dulcimer with a resonator cone. First time with a resonator and I'm using Gitty's 5.5 cone with a cover. Here's some things I'm wondering about:

1. Should I glue and bolt the cone to the box?

2. Will a rod piezo work in the saddle (with a hole drilled for the lead to the pot and jack)

3. If I use a disk piezo should I glue it under the cone where the bridge sits?

Thanks in Advance!

Sam

Views: 691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Lex!

Gitty's cones have 12 holes around the edge, screw it down, no need for glue.

A rod will work well, have the wire exit the biscuit bridge dead center

I use 2 disks in the biscuit wired in parallel.  

Wired like this, and set in rubber cement or hot glue

Thanks Ted, sage advice as always!

Another opinion here from a long-time builder.

Ted's advice is (of course) exactly right for this type of reso cone. However, as one who likes tradition, I'd suggest that you don't overlook the possibility of using a standard reso cone with a soundwell (like you would find in a National guitar or Dobro). The cone basically "floats" on the soundwell, and you don't get any deadening of sound that can occur from screwing it to the top.

To my ear, the Gitty cones just don't have the grit and volume of the type and style pioneered by the Dopyera brothers. Nothing wrong with the Gitty version (I've used them myself . . . I believe they're built by "Old Lowe" and that man is a true metal craftsman) but I do believe it's not the best choice in terms of tone. On the other hand, installation of the Gitty/Lowe cones are much easier that traditional biscuit cones/soundwells.

You can purchase a CBG-sized traditional reso cone, biscuit bridge and cover from the Republic Guitars website (here's a link     resophonic cone/biscuit/cover

Building a soundwell is pretty easy, and I think you'd really like the sound (and, Ted can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I'm certain the biscuit/piezo layout he showed would work perfect for such a set-up).

It's just another option to consider.  Here's a pic of a CBG with traditional cone/cover/biscuit/soundwell I did in 2006 or 2007.

Happy building and have fun

Ron

Marr's Guitars

Thanks Ron - I've never heard of a soundwell so the advice is greatly appreciated!

Sam

Hey Lex

These pictures should explain better than words just what a soundwell is. Did this instrument around 2009 or so for a guy in England. The progression of the 3 pics is counter-clockwise, from setting the well in the body, a shot with the top on, and one with the cone resting on the soundwell.

These pics were mostly a test fit, and in the finished instrument the cone (see last picture on page) is actually below the instrument's top. As I recall, I built a "shelf" with kerfing for the cone to "float" on.

Marr's Guitars

Hullo out there. I also put together a resonator CBG. Maybe more like the original designs with an inner cone and a vibrating disc on the face of the guitar very to the one in the pic supplied by Blind Doughboy.  The inner cone was beaten to shape from a cut off milo tin and glued to the inside of the Cigar box.  The outside cover was the cut off  base of a stainless steel vegetable steamer and was screwed in place. Likewise the bridge was screwed to the old steamer base. I used a 3 pickup piezo and stuck the 3 pickups to the underside of the inner cone inside the box.  The outer place/cover vibrates nicely and maybe bounces around inside the hollow of the cone.  Anyway p'raps your project is complete by now. Have some fun with it.

cheers  P

Pete

Cool design! I did finish the build, so of course I'm now designing the next one . . .

Sam

What Ted said.  Couldn't have posted better.

That is a very nice git Doughboy.  Well, both of them, but especially that second one.  Luverly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service