Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I pretty much butchered the nut but otherwise it was all smooth sailing. Thanks so much for all the help and comments. Seems the intonation is pretty good but the low E may need tweaking. There are several things I still have plans to do but the most exciting thing is having a BASS to practice with!!!! YES

Views: 1060

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I noticed a difference in just a couple of days with the strings. My fingers are pretty dry, but maybe they're rubbing off whatever makes it sticky. Don't have any talc powder on hand. Great tip but may not need it.

I'm so grateful that this was an easy project. I don't have a workshop, or even room to work. (or even a table to work on.)  I have to do any project on my bed.

Now I really need a thumb rest and to fix that nut. I looked at Kala ubass nuts but there's no measurement on them.

That link doesn't work

You're right. I can't play it with the song in the background. I'll have to try another one. Sorry.

hi

Kala nut's only  six bucks , check out the site:-10-00055-01: Nut for 4 string U-BASS .http://www.kalabrand.com/ProductPages/U-BASS-Parts.html. They also have the thumb rest

Item No.
THBRT-UBASS but are out of stock, I bought some but didnt use them, Must have been Drunk dialing on the internet, its amazing what turns up in the mail some days.

Or doesn't turn up in the mail, in my case....

I was looking at the Kala nut but they didn't give any dimensions and I don't know if it's the same width as my fingerboard. I haven't gotten around to emailing them. Having too much fun playing!

I did post a video of a short piece with me playing (sort of). It sounded better when I used a video of a great bluegrass band but they didn't like me copying. (my bad.) So I used a tape of me playing dulcimer. Lame but you can hear the bass.

Just had a minor tragedy. I read that guitar tuners are not strong enough for a bass. I didn't replace the tuners anyway. I was low on funds and anxious to hear my new bass. Sure enough, I broke the A string tuner this morning.

It's not the end of the world. I can just buy some bass tuners and put them on - like I shoulda done in the first place. I wanted to take the bass uke to a jam this Sat. so I've called a couple of music stores that do repairs nearby. I'm off tomorrow with bass and photos and hope I can find what I need.

I meant to say, Thanks, Sam.

and Bruce, let me know how your project works out.

Ragtimelil said:

Thanks. The contrast wasn't planned. I had no idea the strings would be white. It's growing on me though.

Let me know how your project works out.

I bought some from China they were a lot cheaper than the Hipshot , I will check out where I got them and get back to you cheers. Bruce

Ragtimelil said:

Just had a minor tragedy. I read that guitar tuners are not strong enough for a bass. I didn't replace the tuners anyway. I was low on funds and anxious to hear my new bass. Sure enough, I broke the A string tuner this morning.

It's not the end of the world. I can just buy some bass tuners and put them on - like I shoulda done in the first place. I wanted to take the bass uke to a jam this Sat. so I've called a couple of music stores that do repairs nearby. I'm off tomorrow with bass and photos and hope I can find what I need.

Thanks for the thought but I already ordered a set on eBay. They were the only ones I've seen that gave the actual dimensions of the posts. Doesn't help when they say they fit a Fender bass or whatever. I've bought some stuff from China but I've waited months to get them so I stay away from those items now.

Maybe for future reference ;though....

I buy heaps of stuff from China and never have a problem, most of the gear is Freight Free to Australia, i have attached aphoto oif the tuners I bought from China the cost $15.28 AU, landed in Aust , The hipshot cost $80.00US PLUS FRIEGHT.

The Hipshot are very heavy which will make the Bass very heavy on the neck, the ones we bought from China are a lot lishter and look similar in dimentions. All the best. BBB

Attachments:

Those look really nice. I wasn't looking at anything too expensive. I mean the bass/guitar itself was pretty cheap. If the ones I ordered don't work out, I'll definitely check these out. Thanks!

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service