Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Hello to all.

I have not bothered any body today so it must be your turn. I have built two travel ukes, I can't post pix but it kinda looks like the one on Youtube. I put the china rod pickups in both. The first one sounds pretty good on the Honeytone. The second one I labored on for three weeks,sanding,drilling,dyeing,finishing. My wife said it looks like it was made in a factory.Its all shiny and every thing. It sounds Thin and tinney.

My question is,I can buy a EQ for around 20 bux on Ebay but they are meant to mount in a guitar. Could one make a box and use one stand alone. I have no talent with electrics.

Thank You 

Bobby

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bobby.  Yes and no... it depends on the EQ.  I've found that the typical $7 4-slide equalizers work pretty well .  The "G-Tones" work really well... depending on the particular guitar and pickup.  I like both of them.  A preamp like those can really improve the basic sound of a git, whether piezo or mag.  I recommend staying away from the "Joyo" line; they just sound terrible, every time.   Other than that I've found those equalizer preamps to be very nice.

I have two of them.  What I did was mount mine in a box so it can be used with any git I choose.  Photo:

In case it's hard to tell what I did there, I just drilled a hole for the output jack and epoxied it in place (the box was too thick to use a nut), then I cut off the piezo rod and attached the wires to an input jack for the other side.  The center wire (red or white) goes to hot (outside jack ring), the outer wire (typically black) goes to ground (inner jack ring).

Hope this helps. : )

Wayfinder said:

Hi Bobby.  Yes and no... it depends on the EQ.  I've found that the typical $7 4-slide equalizers work pretty well .  The "G-Tones" work really well... depending on the particular guitar and pickup.  I like both of them.  A preamp like those can really improve the basic sound of a git, whether piezo or mag.  I recommend staying away from the "Joyo" line; they just sound terrible, every time.   Other than that I've found those equalizer preamps to be very nice.

I have two of them.  What I did was mount mine in a box so it can be used with any git I choose.  Photo:

In case it's hard to tell what I did there, I just drilled a hole for the output jack and epoxied it in place (the box was too thick to use a nut), then I cut off the piezo rod and attached the wires to an input jack for the other side.  The center wire (red or white) goes to hot (outside jack ring), the outer wire (typically black) goes to ground (inner jack ring).

Bobby Fields said:

Thank You,

I really must do something.I have to do some more testing.I don't have much experince with amps and pickups.I have a high dollar acoustic amp and it has all kind of knobs so you can set it how you want. I have three small amps that I want to use and can't get the sound I want. I will try your advice. When the Govt.Mule rolls in I will order a preamp.

Bobby

Wayfinder said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service