Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Crow's How to build a cigar box guitar in one hour! Videos for each step!

WORKSPACE, SUPPLIES AND TOOLS

NECK

NECK, EYE BOLT TUNER INSTALLATION AND BODY BLOCK

MOUNTING THE NECK AND SOUND HOLES

FRET CALCULATION AND FRET MARKERS

STRINGING IT UP, STRINGS AND EYE BOLT TUNERS

TUNE IT UP AN PLAY!

PLAYING THE CIGAR BOX GUITAR : COLLECTIVE SOUL - "SHINE"

Views: 515

Replies to This Discussion

After spending about a week looking at different designs, this is the one I chose for my first CBG.  I had to watch the video a couple times and take down some detailed notes - and even then I was referring to the video as I built.  Once I had all the materials and all the steps written out it took me about four hours to build it (including waiting an hour or so for the neck to dry after I put some tung oil on it).

It's an easy design, and a great way to build your first instrument.  Now that I actually have a CBG and can pick it up and play with it and look at it, I'm looking at some more advanced designs and thinking, "I could do that."

If you haven't built one, this is a really great way to get started.  You'll wind up with a decent instrument that will stay in tune surprisingly well.  (Just make sure to tighten up both ends of the eye bolt tuners.)

Attachments:

Update: 

I took my "Uncle Crow" cbg around town with me when I was running errands last week, and the lady that works at my favorite coffee stand LOVED IT!  This morning she asked me about my guitar, and if I'd be willing to build one for her son's birthday (which just happens to be in a few weeks.)  We settled on a price on the spot, and I now have my first official order!

Hold on, it's gonna be a helluva ride, Congrats!

I wrote a blog entry detailing my experience with building an Uncle Crow guitar if anyone's interested. 

It's a five-parter, and parts four and five deal with mistakes I made, and my overall impression of the design. 

Check it out: http://www.cigarbox101.com/my-build-blog.html

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service