Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I have tried growing my own for this very purpose, not had any luck getting anything useable... I have tried buying them on Ebay.... and WOW the folks that can grow them are proud of them!! Tired craft fairs same thing there! that or they are allready birdhouses and painted all pretty, so

anybody know where I can get a couple or few reasonable?? I am wanting to add this to my project list...

 

Thanks, Big Daddy

Views: 192

Replies to This Discussion

My town in Kentucky has a Gourd Festival! One guy rolls up with a huge trailer full of gourds of every size. Some he has already cleaned up and they sell for like 8 dollars each, while the ones that are not are like 2 dollars. I work at the festival and towards the end of the day he sold me some for a dollar each. He raises pumpkins and all that stuff. I'm not sure if he sells year round though. How much are you paying on ebay?

on ebay when I have found them they are alway 5-10 gourds and they end up (the ones I watched anyway) sellin 10-12$ each plus shipping!!  $8 bucks isnt too bad, $ 4-5 would be much better!! I am not a tight wad by anymeans, but you gotta save when and where you can!!

 

Thanks!!

Brian Parks said:

My town in Kentucky has a Gourd Festival! One guy rolls up with a huge trailer full of gourds of every size. Some he has already cleaned up and they sell for like 8 dollars each, while the ones that are not are like 2 dollars. I work at the festival and towards the end of the day he sold me some for a dollar each. He raises pumpkins and all that stuff. I'm not sure if he sells year round though. How much are you paying on ebay?
I haven't bought from here, but worth a check  http://www.welburngourdfarm.com/
http://http://www.amishgourds.com/site/1278922/page/45029 If you live around central Pa. here`s a great place to buy gourds, but they do send them UPS also.
I will check it out!! Thanks

jim said:
I haven't bought from here, but worth a check  http://www.welburngourdfarm.com/
I will look them up.. it would be a bit of a drive to stop in.. LOL

Randy S. Bretz said:
http://http://www.amishgourds.com/site/1278922/page/45029 If you live around central Pa. here`s a great place to buy gourds, but they do send them UPS also.

Gourds can be picky to grow and need a long season.  If you are in the north and want to grow them, either large peat pots started early and put out after last frost, or starting in a cloche, cold frame or low tunnel should get a good result.  If you're in the South, usually there are vendors at the October festivals, farmers markets and sometimes on the side of the road where someone grew them for sale, and usually much cheaper than the online sites.  Just one place that on line isn't cheapest, and you can pick your specific size and shape in person.

Good luck!

Most states where gourds can be grown have a gourd society. If you are in or near Canada ( more specifically Ontario) try Northern Dipper. They ship gourd crafter starter kits-- a variety of sizes and shapes commonly used.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service